Esteemed Contributor

Maybe the o/p wanted him to drop everything right then, and rush over.

There are senior apartments that do allow for small animals.

I've looked in to them.

I plan to move in to one one day.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1I have to ask if you have always had a contentious relationship with your son or has this just developed since you both started to age? I know the relationship with my own son who is 35 and a bachelor, is changing too, especially since we have differences where politics and money are concerned. My son is usually very open and honest if I question him, but I have to be careful not to cross the line. My son says he is willing to help me with things around the house, financial, medical,etc. and I believe him and he has been there for his father and me in the past. I would suggest you don't get involved in talks about subjects that will set him off. I would find someone else to help me with things like the cat, you know small stuff that you don't have to bother your son about. Only children are used to being alone and my son is fiercely independent and can be selfish, no doubt your son is like that too.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

She just asked him for help giving the cat medicine. I don’t see that as some horrible imposition. Sounds like he said he would help but didn’t say when and she just wanted know.

She doesn’t drive, is all by herself and is in her eighties. And I don’t think many assisted living units allow cats. 

I don’t see where op talked about inheritance unless I missed it. 

I think she’s letting off steam. Sometimes it’s hard having no friends. Or not having them near you.

The senior facilities around here allow a pet to move in with its owner.  I imagine they lost too many possible residents otherwise.  

Honored Contributor

None of us know the situation here.  Some of us having dealt with these issues are bringing to the table what we have experienced from both sides of the relationship.

While our suggestions may give halfpint1 something to think about, we need to keep in mind that we don't have real understanding because we don't have the whole picture.  We don't want to say anything that may be counterproductive for her.  

Many prayers for both of them are being said by many here:  I'm sure of that!  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

She just asked him for help giving the cat medicine. I don’t see that as some horrible imposition. Sounds like he said he would help but didn’t say when and she just wanted know.

She doesn’t drive, is all by herself and is in her eighties. And I don’t think many assisted living units allow cats. 

I think she’s letting off steam. Sometimes it’s hard having no friends. Or not having them near you.

The senior facilities around here allow a pet to move in with its owner.  I imagine they lost too many possible residents otherwise.  

@tansy  Well, I guess I was wrong. Sorry about that. I didn’t know this. But she still has said she has no interest in assisted living.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I've looked in to them.

@Anonymous032819 .  Are you talking about assisted living?

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1    My personal answer doesn’t really matter here. We all have different dynamics with our adult children at different points in our lives. 

I’m guessing your son may have felt that applying the flea treatment could have waited for another time.  If this was the case, I’d agree with him. 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Yes, most independent living apartments as well as many assisted living ones, do allow small pets 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Yes, most independent living apartments as well as many assisted living ones, do allow small pets 

@september. Yes, thank you. I corrected my original post to say I was misinformed regarding the pets.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I've looked in to them.

@Anonymous032819 .  Are you talking about assisted living?

I am talking about apartments that are geared and designed for seniors.

They have their own little kitchen if they want to cook their own food, and a bathroom that has an emergency "call" button that automatically summons for help in the event of a slip or fall. The shower/tub has grab bars.

The main "house" serves b/l/d, plans activities, outings, movie nights, etc.

That's what I'm talking about.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.