Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Want Cheap Giveaways from China

Good point, Moonchild. No matter where it's made if it's junk, we don't need to add to landfill. However, if it's something that we might use, I am less trusting of Chinese stuff than that from many other countries. I am concerned with how we let others do harm to us and we just stand by and let it happen. News today reports how our EPA allows this men's hair color containing lead acetate to be sold here but European countries have alternative. Why do we allow?
Respected Contributor

I don't want any of that kind of junk.   

Honored Contributor

How many travel mugs can 1 person have!

I'm slowly starting to pitch what was given to my husband at various trade shows.  He went to one a few weeks ago and I asked him to please not take another one.

There must be 4 or 5 more left in one of the cabinets. 

Honored Contributor

@twins mom wrote:
Good point, Moonchild. No matter where it's made if it's junk, we don't need to add to landfill. However, if it's something that we might use, I am less trusting of Chinese stuff than that from many other countries. I am concerned with how we let others do harm to us and we just stand by and let it happen. News today reports how our EPA allows this men's hair color containing lead acetate to be sold here but European countries have alternative. Why do we allow?

Well, there are quite a few drugs, dyes and additives that are used in the US that are banned in European countries, and they think we're poisoning ourselves, so that goes both ways.

Why? Lobbyists, politics and $$$. 

As for China, I wouldn't be eager to eat food grown or processed in China, would not knowingly feed a pet any ingredients that originated in China, and wouldn't give babies or toddlers any toys made in China because of the everything-goes-in-the-mouth bit. But other than something eaten, licked or swallowed, I wouldn't bother about much else.

About 30 years ago the FDA banned some substance in red hair dyes. To this day, no red hair dye made in the US since has had the great color, saturation or staying power (non-fading) the red hair dyes previously had. And younger people, who have nothing to compare, wouldn't even know it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

One never has too many ballpoint pens and I've gotten some nice key chains.  For things I don't want, it's a short trip to the garbage can.  This is not a major problem in my life. 

Exactly @Kachina624

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

I hate the corporate junk from my employer.  I was taking it and donating.  I'm going to start saying "no thank you" Maybe they'll get the hint. 

A decade ago, different employer they gave away cameras, jewelry, other nice things.

Honored Contributor

My husband works for UPS and his supervisor is giving them UPS branded things every few months when they reach some goal or go so long without accidents or meet certain numbers.

I will say, we are generally glad to get what they are giving. He gets a lot of T shirts most of them are rather nice quality, and a couple of times, really nice jackets and hoodies. 

We've received sets of drinking glasses with antique UPS vehicles etched on them (great for us, as we have a small collection of antique and vintage real cars), some thermal coffee mugs (really nice stainless steel ones), great quality tote bags (some big enough to pass as luggage)and other things similar.

If he gets things we aren't interested in, we simply add them to the most recent donation bag and move them on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cheap giveaways from ANYWHERE is a turnoff, it's not necessarily China! 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

About 30 years ago the FDA banned some substance in red hair dyes. To this day, no red hair dye made in the US since has had the great color, saturation or staying power (non-fading) the red hair dyes previously had. And younger people, who have nothing to compare, wouldn't even know it.

@Moonchilde  Same with Lipstick.  Remember when it used to stay bright all day and later?  Then they took the good dye off the market. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624. Right. I have not bought a pen, pencil, calendar or a note pad since about 1985. I do pick them at horse shows, farm shows, fairs. Sometimes nice tote bags for groceries. Those rubber grippers to open jars. Tons of useful stuff.