Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Think it Would be a Conflict of Interest?

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@GAQShopr53 Are you referring to David Venable's cookbook?  If so, I'm sure QVC is making a lot of profit on his book and just promoting their employee and company at the same time.

If people are interested in the host and what he has to say, then they might be tempted to purchase the book. 

It could appear to be a conflict of interest, however, QVC is just monopolizing on his popularity and both are profiting from the sales just like I'm sure all the vendors do as well as hosts, based on sales goals and amount that they can sell while on air. 

No I was not referring to David but he would be a good example!

Honored Contributor

Conflict would occur only if there was injury but I don’t see it as that at all. practically everything QVC as well as many other large retailers makes profit for a number of interested parties.

Honored Contributor

i have seen no conflict of interest at all?

a store or shopping channel or website buys what they want to buy because they think it will sell. if someone who works for them has a product or a product idea or a relative with a product then i see no reason whatsoever why that product  should not be available on qvc if they are willing to take the chance.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Vendors who present are often owners of the company or an employee. Companies have the right to sell and salespersons typically ARE employees of the company. This isn’t new. Not understanding the question?
Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53A host selling their products at QVC isn't in conflict with QVC -  they're sharing any profits according to whatever contract exists between the host and QVC.

As for outside vendors, all those sales work on a contract basis also.  There's only be a conflict of interest if the vendor tried to use QVC's shows to sell something QVC buyers couldn't buy.  Imagine the vendor rep presenting a set of pots and pans and telling us we should go shop XYZ if we want a good deal on them!  That would be working against QVC's interest - the rep would be misusing the TV time QVC paid for!

Respected Contributor

Agreed @millieshops I was just thinking about what happens when there is an issue with a product...there was an issue with a product sold on H...N and there were complaints about the smell of the product and some even going as far to say the product made them sick....the vendor was connected to the network and it looks like the network was willing to back the vendor regardless of the product.

There is another host on a shopping channel who is connected to a product being sold and even sells the item.  What happens when there is an issue with the product..that is why I asked the question of conflict of interest.

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Vendors who present are often owners of the company or an employee. Companies have the right to sell and salespersons typically ARE employees of the company. This isn’t new. Not understanding the question?

Understood @bikerbabe and not so much vendors but hosts that have personal connections/interest in a product...what if there is an issue with the product or someone complained that the product caused injury...I was just thinking out loud.

Esteemed Contributor

QUICK comment.  On one of the cable news programs the hosts are ALWAYS promoting their books.  Getting worse.  At first I had no problem with it and then it got to be almost daily and I really felt it was just too much.  

Esteemed Contributor

It is not a conflict for an owner or employee of a company to sell their own products. All manufacturers sell their products, so it is normal for employees or owners of the companies that make products to sell them, whether on TV or behind the scenes.  For examples, the owners of Spanx and It Cosmetics would sell their products on QVC.  I suppose if the salesperson were the owner or employee and they stated I just tried the product and it works, and it wasn't true, or ifthe sales person claimed to be unrelated to the company and it wasn't true, these would be misrepresentations.  

But we all know that salespeople are intetested in making the sale (even if they are not owners or employees of the manufacturer), so we are expecting them to be biased in favor of the product, to make the sale.  So for a salesperson to have a financial interest in a product they are selling is not a misrepresentation.  It is actually expected.

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53

the joy mangano line was a subsidiary of hsn and had been for many years. it was then  a part of QURATE when the companies merged. ingenius designs has been dissolved in order to streamline production costs.

there is a money back guarantee with the products. if you are dissatisfied you can return the product within 30 days......or even longer than that if you purchase the item within the holiday return period.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein