Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Think it Would be a Conflict of Interest?

@sunshine45 wrote:

@GAQShopr53

the joy mangano line was a subsidiary of hsn and had been for many years. it was then  a part of QURATE when the companies merged. ingenius designs has been dissolved in order to streamline production costs.

there is a money back guarantee with the products. if you are dissatisfied you can return the product within 30 days......or even longer than that if you purchase the item within the holiday return period.

@sunshine45 I am aware of HSN's return policy...this post was not about one particular vendor or product...just a question about conflict when selling products and the person selling the product works for the company or is connected in some fashion.  FYI: I purchased Joy's product and had no issues with it.

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

It is not a conflict for an owner or employee of a company to sell their own products. All manufacturers sell their products, so it is normal for employees or owners of the companies that make products to sell them, whether on TV or behind the scenes.  For examples, the owners of Spanx and It Cosmetics would sell their products on QVC.  I suppose if the salesperson were the owner or employee and they stated I just tried the product and it works, and it wasn't true, or ifthe sales person claimed to be unrelated to the company and it wasn't true, these would be misrepresentations.  

But we all know that salespeople are intetested in making the sale (even if they are not owners or employees of the manufacturer), so we are expecting them to be biased in favor of the product, to make the sale.  So for a salesperson to have a financial interest in a product they are selling is not a misrepresentation.  It is actually expected.

Thank you @NYCLatinaMe

Respected Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

I was watching a couple of different shows and saw some items being marketed that were directly tied to the employees of the company (ie. jewelry, books, candy, cleaning products). Some even have behind the scenes stake in the products. Do you think this is or would be a conflict of interest? Please don't take this post to another level...just thinking out loud..Thank you in Advance.Smiley Happy

Thank you all for your responses and insights into the question.  I did not post specifc names, products, or vendors because I did not want the post to become argumentative or go against community standards.  I just wanted to see how you felt about vendors/employees selling their own products while working for that company. 

I don't have an issue with them selling their products or even pitching thier books. I  just wondered about those times when the product does not sell or there is an issue with the product. What is the person selling gets sued...how will the company respond?  Again thanks for the input!

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53

No I don't.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

There's no problem with it at all.  Why?  It's a product like any other product they sell.

Honored Contributor

It's not a conflict of interest at all - unless they worked for a competing company also.

Honored Contributor

It happens all the time.  I'm not concerned.

Honored Contributor

About the book... The Q probably gets most of the profit from it. Win win for all. There's really not many products that the host has their name stamped on a product, and then sells it. S/K has some jewelry, but they may not make profit ... it's ownly their inspiration. Like LR didn't own that "luxury line" of purses etc.. She just hosted the shows.

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

It could be...could you provide some specifics?

Updated post to include a few examples...don't want to be specific with names as it would violate community standards.

@GAQShopr53  It doesn't violate community standards to name product names or people's names.  You just can't give a link to a place that sells anything.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau