Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think We Have This Upside Down?

Americans like to be entertained.  Who can explain it?  I guess it comes with having so much leisure time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always found these comparisons to be invalid.

Most professional athletes,  performers, models, actors, entertainers are paid by private entities. 

Many of the other professions are employed by municipalities, nonprofits, governmental entities,  with different revenue sources such as a tax base, limited in scope and ability. 

I am perfectly satisfied with the status quo.  In the private sector free markets in this country determine how someone is compensated.  My employer determines my salary.   I like it or I don't. 

Respected Contributor

I also meant to add that the "celebrities" are like the CEO of a company that gets paid a lot of money.

They employ & provide jobs for a lot of people.

Writers, directors, producers, choreographers, lighting, sound, security, food service, makeup artists, clothing, coaches, health providers (for all of those sports injuries), etc....

Regular Contributor

You've hit a nerve. The salaries for actors and sports figures are out of control. People become star struck with these individuals. Seriously, I don't now how a family of say 4 can afford to go to these games. Prices for tickets, parking and food can cost you upwards of $300.

Then there's the fools that buy their sports memorabilia so they walk around with a shirt/jacket with someone's name and/or number on it. Oh let's not forget the real fools whose profession, i.e. painters, plumbers etc. that when completing the job tells the multi-millionaire "no charge'. If I were doing work for one these overpaid individuals I'd put everthing in perspective. Let's see -- I can fix that leaky pipe and it will only cost you $2000 and I'll paint that room for $2500! 

Honored Contributor

The salaries celebrities are paid are paid by a vote of the American people.  It is voted on with our $$$$ spent on them.  If we vote for them, they make a boatload of money.  If we don't spend to see them and talk about them and pay attention they aren't worth much.

Dollars, media time, photos, headlines, all pay off and we pay them with our use and attention and support (and keeping them in the news is support, love them or hate them it provides the payoff for them).

Trusted Contributor

I believe that the values of the masses in this country are completely out of whack, yes, they are upside down (so to speak). A few years ago I got rid of everything tied to the NFL because I think the organization is rotting from the top.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily 

Yes...we need an adjustment in our values

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@MaverDaver wrote:

You've hit a nerve. The salaries for actors and sports figures are out of control. People become star struck with these individuals. Seriously, I don't now how a family of say 4 can afford to go to these games. Prices for tickets, parking and food can cost you upwards of $300.

Then there's the fools that buy their sports memorabilia so they walk around with a shirt/jacket with someone's name and/or number on it. Oh let's not forget the real fools whose profession, i.e. painters, plumbers etc. that when completing the job tells the multi-millionaire "no charge'. If I were doing work for one these overpaid individuals I'd put everthing in perspective. Let's see -- I can fix that leaky pipe and it will only cost you $2000 and I'll paint that room for $2500! 

What's really rotten is when the supposedly wealthy individual refuses to pay the working people they hire to do work for them.

There is a celebrity known for walking away from obligations over and over and over. Even stealing from a charity they set up. Yet the fools who worship celebrity keep giving them their money. So yes, totally upside down.

Honored Contributor

It's return on investment. Recently, the Taylor Swift concerts brought jobs and millions to every community in which she preformed, and she preformed for over three hours. She deserves, has earned what she's paid.

Few actors, musicians,  and athletes make millions. Those who do generate substantial returns to investors.

All those who are nurses, teachers...were free to choose their profession, knew the pay scale. 

Respected Contributor

I agree completely. 

We are, fortunately,  free to choose our vocation.

If wealth is your goal, there are multiple paths.

If yours is public service, not motivated monetarily,  that is another fork in the road.

We all have options.