Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think This is Wrong in this Hot Weather?

[ Edited ]

No, it isn't wrong.  Two weeks ago we had a tree service here for 4 hours, it was almost 98 and add the humidity to it.  Our friends own the company and when I mentioned the weather he said they stayed hydrated and were used to the weather.   This is their livelihood and if they scheduled due to the weather conditions, they'd all lose money.  They took breaks and did a fantastic job.  And yes we tipped every man on the crew, all 7.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

I live i AZ and right now it's 114 degrees.  It's almost 2pm.  I can't believe that some people in my area have the tree trimmers or landscape workers at their house right now.   

It's unsafe to be outside for extended periods of time. These men and women are working at the hottest time of the day.   Personally, if i had yard work scheduled for a day like today, I would cancel and try a different day when it's not so dangerously hot.    If anything, schedule it for early morning.

Ironically, it's always the same people that have yard work done and it seems they have it done every 2 weeks.   I guess having a well groomed yard is more important than safeguarding the worker who has to be outside doing it.    No yard work is so important it can't be put off for a day that isn't as hot.   I just think it's wrong to subject these hard workers to the oppressive heat.

Just my take.

Daring Greatly - There are yard maintenance workers in my neighborhood working on their routes today.  Very warm 102 degrees.  All are illegal aliens and do things to work and buy food and pay for meager housing.  If they don't do their route, they don't get paid.  I am sure they can take a day or so off in incliment weather but most prefer to work.  Their employers are away at their jobs for the most part so they aren't all aware of what is going on. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I had yard workers at my house Tuesday.  They arrived at 8am and left about 2pm.  They didn't quite finish but will be back.  It was about 90 degrees, not nearly as hot as Arizona.  I've had the same company for years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I have my front yard mowed and taken care of my a landscape company.  They come weekly.  I am sure that my house is not the only one they do that day.  I live in Northern California and it can get 110 degrees.  Not often, but yes it does.  They still come on those days.  I am at work so don't realize they have come until I get home from work.  I presume their employer who gives them periodic breaks to get out of the heat, etc. and makes sure they stay hydrated.  Unfortunately being outside in the weather goes with certain job titles.

Esteemed Contributor

We have landscapers who mow our yard, edging, raking, blowing, taking care of my roses and trees. I pay them once a month and do not set the schedule, they do. I don't care what time they come and have told them so. It has been very hot here and humid with the heat index well over 100 degrees. I've let them know if my lawn had to wait until cooler days for the safety of their workers, that is what I would want. Despite me saying this, they show up on even the hottest of days. If I am home I bring out iced tea or water with ice. I am very sensitive to heat with my auto immune disease so it makes me cringe when I see them out there at the hottest point of the day and week. I've talked to them and asked them how they handle it. Most of them are from Mexico and say they are used to working in hotter conditions and are ok with it. I don't know how that is possible because I would literally pass out. I do notice that a few of them have those coolers around their neck and they have a huge cooler on the back of trucks with plenty of water and never seem to need mine.

I have friends who work at UPS loading the trucks and those warehouses easily get to 120 degrees in the summer down here. I have also asked them how they handle that. They said the first two weeks was heck but after that their body acclimated to it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

Generally, these workers can decide to show up or not if they think their lives are at stake.

I mean, imagine being forced to dig canals in 114 degrees as a POW. That's tough.

But landscapers or yard maintenance people? Unless you see a chain on one of their legs, they can reschedule.

And there are all sorts of tricks people who decide to work outdoors in such temps employ. Hydration is vital. They sell cooling towels and gels. They take breaks. I mean, its their choice to not only be landscape workers but to be landscape workers in places where it can be fairly routine to have summer temps hit 114 or even 120.

I think of the plants. They have no choice in any of this. And it can be a terrible trauma to some plants to be trimmed or cut in such extreme heat of the day.

Its not actually the best landscaper work to be hacking at even a desert plant in the searing heat of the mid-day sun.

Respected Contributor

I'm from AZ.   Those temps are normal for the summer and people are used to it.  As someone else wrote, all work cannot be stopped because of the weather.  I live in the PNW, and we have a pretty moderate year round climate, but it does rain in the winter.  I have many friends who are linemen for the power company, also construction workers, etc.  The work has to get done, rain or shine.  If you're in those industries, you know the drill. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

@cowboy sam wrote:

If were one of those workers i would have canceled and made another appointment to return when it was cooler.

***October?  Smiley Wink

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's wrong; I just think it's a business decision and is more between the owner and the employees.