Trusted Contributor

Do You Think This is Wrong in this Hot Weather?

I live i AZ and right now it's 114 degrees.  It's almost 2pm.  I can't believe that some people in my area have the tree trimmers or landscape workers at their house right now.   

It's unsafe to be outside for extended periods of time. These men and women are working at the hottest time of the day.   Personally, if i had yard work scheduled for a day like today, I would cancel and try a different day when it's not so dangerously hot.    If anything, schedule it for early morning.

Ironically, it's always the same people that have yard work done and it seems they have it done every 2 weeks.   I guess having a well groomed yard is more important than safeguarding the worker who has to be outside doing it.    No yard work is so important it can't be put off for a day that isn't as hot.   I just think it's wrong to subject these hard workers to the oppressive heat.

Just my take.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think This is Wrong in this Hot Weather?

If were one of those workers i would have canceled and made another appointment to return when it was cooler.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

Maybe the guys still wanted to come because they need the money.

I do see your point, though.  I'd have asked if they wanted to reschedule.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

But, some of those workers feel pressured by the homeowner and don't want to lose the business,    I blame it on the homeowner who is only thinking of their needs.

Honored Contributor

Since I don't know the situation, I wouldn't presume to know what is right or wrong.  The workers may have insisted on coming.  It might not be the homeowners at all.

When we had our yard done by a service, they showed up when they showed up. We never knew when they were coming.  We just told them to be there weekly to mow the lawn.  If they showed up when it was raining, that was on them.  If it was scorching hot and they came, again, that was on them.  

Honored Contributor

I myself wouldn't want their job, but I do think the responsibility to decide whether they work in that heat belongs to the workers and their employers, not to the homeowners.

I don't think our temperatures in Florida reach that 114 mark, but as hot and humid as it does get, I don't see outdoor work coming to a halt.  Maybe that's how it's done. but no yard work, no construction work, not much of anything outdoors??  I just can't even imagine that.

Respected Contributor

I think some people do what they have to do in order to earn money.

I have a relative in Phoenix who does work as a maintenance man.  He tells his customers that if they want any outside work done it has to be in the early morning.  But he works for himself so he can make that decision.

It's in the upper 90's where I live.  I've had a maintenance guy working my house for the last week.  Yesterday and today he was putting in new windows.  I got annoyed with him because he didn't show up until after 10 a.m.  Then he's working in the heat on hot cement, sweat pouring off him.  I keep him supplied with ice water and ice tea, but he's flooding my yard by keeping  the water hose running to keep cool.  Last night I told him he had to come early in the morning before the sun was so hot.  He did show up at 7:45, and he was out of here at 2 instead of 8 at night.  I suppose it's his decision to boil in the sun or not, but it's not my first choice.

Honored Contributor

Some people don't think straight.  I am sure they hear the weather report.  It's really too bad that they are so inconsiderate of other people's safety.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

My experience with landscapers is they set their own schedule.  I imagine it's a busy time of year, but they shouldn't put their workers in jeopardy.

Esteemed Contributor

I am certain that they are well acclimated to the weather and aren't as uncomfortable as you would be in the heat. I tolerate heat much better than my friends because I do 90-min sessions of hot yoga and sit in my infrared sauna set at 140. They wilt when we're golfing in 100 degrees and I'm hardly breaking a sweat. Workers know how to keep hydrated. I wouldn't think twice about it. When I used to run marathons, I ran in ALL weather extremes without ill effect.

Now, if your 75-year-old out-of-shape neighbor is out doing strenuous yard work in 114 degrees, I would worry . . .

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop