Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think This is Wrong in this Hot Weather?

A lot of people work outdoors in all kinds of horrible weather. 

I don't know how people work outside in extreme cold, but they do. 

Esteemed Contributor

Today's high is now 117. The guys who trimmed our palm tree came out yesterday about 10:00 and they looked exhausted. I felt sorry for them. They were wearing long pants and long sleeves. 

Honored Contributor

It's up to the business contracted to do the job. People doing that kind of work understand what's unvolved, especially in AZ, CA, UT, NV. It's hot in some places week after week. They can't put it off/disrupt their schedule forever.

I think there is responsibility on the part of the business owner to provide ice and cold drinks/water. The workers will bring their own, but more is necessary.

And if I were a homeowner with a crew working on my house, I would offer cold drinks, water and ice and a shady place to sit.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

What if there was a power outage in that degree of heat? Would you tell the workers to come back when the temperature is cooler?

Most people who do work outdoors in extreme weather conditions are prepared for it-- they bring jugs of water, and stay in the shade when possible and wear hats wherever possible.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

I live i AZ and right now it's 114 degrees.  It's almost 2pm.  I can't believe that some people in my area have the tree trimmers or landscape workers at their house right now.   

It's unsafe to be outside for extended periods of time. These men and women are working at the hottest time of the day.   Personally, if i had yard work scheduled for a day like today, I would cancel and try a different day when it's not so dangerously hot.    If anything, schedule it for early morning.

Ironically, it's always the same people that have yard work done and it seems they have it done every 2 weeks.   I guess having a well groomed yard is more important than safeguarding the worker who has to be outside doing it.    No yard work is so important it can't be put off for a day that isn't as hot.   I just think it's wrong to subject these hard workers to the oppressive heat.

Just my take.

I guess you and I are pretty much in the minority. I applaud your empathy. It's sad that some are so desperate as to threaten their health and maybe their lives. I don't know the answer, though, because they also very much need the pay.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

I'm from AZ.   Those temps are normal for the summer and people are used to it.  As someone else wrote, all work cannot be stopped because of the weather.  I live in the PNW, and we have a pretty moderate year round climate, but it does rain in the winter.  I have many friends who are linemen for the power company, also construction workers, etc.  The work has to get done, rain or shine.  If you're in those industries, you know the drill. 

Yup......same as snow plow operators who clear roads during a blizzard.......so people can get to work in the morning.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I would probably be considerate and say something to the work place. But, I do agree they (work place) could postpone too in being considerate of their employees.

Also about heat I could never take that, but my dad worked where it was as hot as that or more inside and even in old age he never would sweat! We would say dad arent you hot and he would say no and was fine. It never bothered him.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

The thing is, it's ALWAYS hot in AZ in the summer. 100..105..110..115...it's just hot.  It's not like it's a surprise.  People that do outside work there are familiar with it.  Of course it's nice to offer drinks, etc.  When I had my landscaping done for my house in Prescott (15 years ago) it was 90 degrees (hot for Prescott).   I had a huge cooler filled with ice and all kinds of drinks, from water to sodas to Gatorade to juices for the crew. And they kept going and got it done.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

It is very wrong, Welcome to America, taking advantage of the poor to keep a lawn looking well manicured is certainly a sad indicator of their priorities. Maybe an annoymous note would make them think about something other than their great yard. 

Super Contributor

My yard crew's schedule is determined by them.  They know how many jobs they need to cover in a day.  And it's over 100 degrees here.  I have empathy for them--but they are the ones who know how long it takes to get the work done and how many places they need to go during the day. 

Plus in some parts of the country (TX), it's 80 at 7:00 a.m. and 90 at 10 p.m.  So there's no ideal time to schedule it.  They crew carries huge water containers with ice and dress for the weather.

I've offered them ice water before.  But they are grown men, and you have to accept that they will handle it somehow.