Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think That the Olympics Should Be Cancelled?

@occasionalrain wrote:

Is it their choice or their parents who make the choice?

We don't permit children to make life altering decisions.

Yes we do. In most families the child decides whether or not to join Chess Club or try out for Basketball or the Track Team or a play.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It has to be both ..... a parent cannot force a child to do things unless the child is a willing participant.  Thus the passion to continue, work hard and strive for a dream.  What parent would not want to help their child do the best they can.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

No, I don't. We need to get on with the business of living. Too many are still living in fear. And don't lecture me on Covid. I live in Texas. We have been opened up 100% and mask free for 2 months. Yesterday no new cases of Covid in the whole state and we are a pretty big state. I won't harp any further on this because it is political and we all know that is a "taboo" subject.😠

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

Child labor is illegal, with or without parental consent. Training hours a day is physical labor aka hard work. Injuries are common. Gymnasts as young as eight included. 

No child under 16 should be training from dawn, going to school, and then training well into the evening, day after day including weekends.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain 

This isn't about enjoyable social activities, this is hours of  hard work training.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Child labor is illegal, with or without parental consent. Training hours a day is physical labor aka hard work. Injuries are common. Gymnasts as young as eight included. 

No child under 16 should be training from dawn, going to school, and then training well into the evening, day after day including weekends.

Guess we will just have to disagree that someone training to achieve a life goal is comparable to illegal child labor.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I enjoy watching some of the competitions. What I find wrong about it is the dedication required and exploitation of children. Obviously, their parents play a large part in it.

I don't doubt the children have a talent and interest in their sport, but to be good enough to compete in the Olympics requires training that takes over their lives leaving time for little else. 

@occasionalrain 

Children in the United States aren't "exploited" for these games.  These are children's dreams.  Their desires and they work hard at it.  They sacrifice a lot to get that far.  To be called "the best."  Perhaps some parents live vicariously; but I don't believe any exploitation on a grand scale.  The children/young adults get the glory and perhaps their trainers and coaches.  Not the parents.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

What can you do stop them?  There are some things you can't control; even as a parent @occasionalrain .  Not unless you tie them to a radiator.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Guess we will just have to disagree that someone training to achieve a life goal is comparable to illegal child labor.

They are not the same for most logical thinking people @CrazyDaisy 

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I enjoy watching some of the competitions. What I find wrong about it is the dedication required and exploitation of children. Obviously, their parents play a large part in it.

I don't doubt the children have a talent and interest in their sport, but to be good enough to compete in the Olympics requires training that takes over their lives leaving time for little else. 

@occasionalrain 

Children in the United States aren't "exploited" for these games.  These are children's dreams.  Their desires and they work hard at it.  They sacrifice a lot to get that far.  To be called "the best."  Perhaps some parents live vicariously; but I don't believe any exploitation on a grand scale.  The children/young adults get the glory and perhaps their trainers and coaches.  Not the parents.

At some point, no matter how much a parent may want it, the child has to want it enough to continue.  When the desire is not there they just cannot perform at the higher levels.