Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think That the Olympics Should Be Cancelled?

No.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Why do we need to showcase young athletes? What do gymnasts contribute to the general public? Other than endorsements, how does the hours in a gym along with injuries prepare them for future employment?

Some sports are entertaining to watch and, for some, in which to participate. I know people who run, skate, and swim for fun and fitness but I know of no adult who does balance beams on weekends.

@occasionalrain 

IMO, it's all part of the big business of sports. 

The first thing that comes to mind is that young, talented gymnasts might obtain a good college scholarship.    Many, many colleges try to attract accomplished athletes by offering free or greatly reduced tuition.  Yes, an athlete's competitive yearrs are numbered, but if they manage to get a good education, this can help when their prime  competition years are over.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Yes, it's an unnecessary risk. India now has a black fungus spreading.

The Olympics has too many issues: drugs, sexual abuse, cheating, criminal activity. It time to end it entirely.

@occasionalrain 

Think back for about the last ten years or so .... most sports have had these problems.  Based on your assessment, should we then abolish all sports completely?

Honored Contributor

The amount of cash spent on trainers, travel, medical bills, memberships, fees... could finance a Batchelor, Masters, and maybe even a Doctorate. 

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Why do we need to showcase young athletes? What do gymnasts contribute to the general public? Other than endorsements, how does the hours in a gym along with injuries prepare them for future employment?

Some sports are entertaining to watch and, for some, in which to participate. I know people who run, skate, and swim for fun and fitness but I know of no adult who does balance beams on weekends.

Guess for the same reason we showcase poets, artists, fashion designers.....  Everyone enjoys and admites the talent in others and have different interests.  Cannot imagine putting down and diminishing someone's passion and talent simply because it is not something i may not enjoy.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I enjoy watching some of the competitions. What I find wrong about it is the dedication required and exploitation of children. Obviously, their parents play a large part in it.

I don't doubt the children have a talent and interest in their sport, but to be good enough to compete in the Olympics requires training that takes over their lives leaving time for little else. 

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I enjoy watching some of the competitions. What I find wrong about it is the dedication required and exploration of children. Obviously, their parents play a large part in it.

I don't doubt the children have a talent and interest in their sport, but to be good enough to compete in the Olympics requires training that takes over their lives leaving time for little else. 

Yet that would be their choice not yours.  Who are you to say that sports, academics, music etc should not take over their lives.  I choose to celebrate when a child finds their passion and pursues it....at any age.  Those athletes at the Olympics are fortunate to have talent, have learned that hard work pays off and do much better in life than most.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

YES

Honored Contributor

Is it their choice or their parents who make the choice?

We don't permit children to make life altering decisions.

Honored Contributor

You don't get rid of athletics because some of the people in positions of power are bad. You get rid of the bad people and establish standards to prevent similar people from returning.

If we had to get rid of every activity and institution that contained corrupt people, we'd be back to the stone age. Get rid of the corrupt people. They don't deserve to thrive or to ruin things for everyone else.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr