Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Think That the Olympics Should Be Cancelled?

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

WHen professional teams were allowed to compete against non-professional teams (and won the gold), that was when I stopped supporting the Olympics. 

It's a money grab now. All the luster is gone IMHO. 

@FiddleDeeDeeI didn't even realize those athletes got much in the way of money (except for endorsements); which don't last forever.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

WHen professional teams were allowed to compete against non-professional teams (and won the gold), that was when I stopped supporting the Olympics. 

@FiddleDeeDeeI didn't even realize those athletes got much in the way of money (except for endorsements); which don't last forever.

The pros are paid well due to being pros. 

I do believe that back in the day, you are correct; the athletes didn't get much and endorsements did end. However, for swimmers, track stars, skaters, skiers, snowboarding, basketball, volleyball, etc....if you have a good  manager and PR team,  you can make one endorsement lead to many and the sky is the limit. Add in speaking engagements, books, etc. I don't remember the name of the documentary (search it, bet it's on YouTube) which covered the expense and training of ice skaters. It was sad on many levels. In the end, the parents were willing to risk everything (even the happiness of their other children) because if their child won a gold, they would make enough money to pay themselves back all the money they spent plus secure her financial future (and theirs until the age of 18). Like I said, it was sad on many levels. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

With the cheating, politics, pro athletes, and such yes I think it should be discontinued completely.  It is a farce.  

It's offensive that they even pretend it is amateur athletics and has been for pretty much as long as I can remember. 

Valued Contributor

It should definitely be cancelled. I couldn’t care less if it’s a permanent cancellation.
Trusted Contributor

Oh, yes! Not just because of covid either.

Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

The pros are paid well due to being pros. 

I do believe that back in the day, you are correct; the athletes didn't get much and endorsements did end. However, for swimmers, track stars, skaters, skiers, snowboarding, basketball, volleyball, etc....if you have a good  manager and PR team,  you can make one endorsement lead to many and the sky is the limit. Add in speaking engagements, books, etc. I don't remember the name of the documentary (search it, bet it's on YouTube) which covered the expense and training of ice skaters. It was sad on many levels. In the end, the parents were willing to risk everything (even the happiness of their other children) because if their child won a gold, they would make enough money to pay themselves back all the money they spent plus secure her financial future (and theirs until the age of 18). Like I said, it was sad on many levels. 

Very interesting @FiddleDeeDee .  I do remember a few who seemed to be everywhere for a while and seemed to get a lot of media attention. Thanks for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

My thoughts - Japan is desperate for the income and will not be cancelling.  For a sophistated country, they have been very slow with vaccinations and are purportedly in another wave.

That said - no one can force an athlete (at least from this country) to participate.  Those who go with the team (IMO), including the atheletes, staff, coaches, etc. should be required to be fully vaccinated; and moreover, have to agree to procautionary proceedures, test as necessary, and when they are there (not mix with the public, etc.) It would be somewhat boring for them in not being able to enjoy the country as they normally would have done.

As far as you not participating if you were an athlete: that would have more meaning had you dreamed of competing, had trained since childhood, and had actually made the team.    I suppose we will get feedback from the real athletes sooner or later.

No, I am not a proponent of doing away with the Olympics altogether, although there have been situations, from time to time, that I did not deem to be equitable. 

@MarieIG I am not up on news with this part of Asia.  I would never imagine Japan being in such dire straits.  I think of China still is, but not nearly as much as it used to be.  China is gaining momentum in the world community and I never thought Japan would "need" money let alone for Olympic games.

Wow.  I've got some catching up to do on Japan.

Esteemed Contributor

No, but with tight restrictions. Japan is a very clean country and has controlled the virus very well. They have had peaks but very short ones. Japan is one of the safest places in the world.
Honored Contributor

Yes, it's an unnecessary risk. India now has a black fungus spreading.

The Olympics has too many issues: drugs, sexual abuse, cheating, criminal activity. It time to end it entirely.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Yes, it's an unnecessary risk. India now has a black fungus spreading.

The Olympics has too many issues: drugs, sexual abuse, cheating, criminal activity. It time to end it entirely.

@occasionalrain, by that measure, we'd have to close down just about every entity that exists. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland