Esteemed Contributor

Do You Think That the Olympics Should Be Cancelled?

The Olympics were supposed to happen last year, but as we all know,  they didn't. They were postponed until this year.

As much as I enjoy rooting for the home team, I don't think that it would be safe for the athletes.

I can see countries pulling out, out of an abundance of caution for their athletes, and if I had a day as an athlete, I would not go.

Maybe do away  with the Olympics altogether.

I don't know what the answer is.

Thoughts?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think That the Olympics Should Be Cancelled?

yes. at least one more year

Trusted Contributor

Personally, I'd like to see them wait one more year also !

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Honored Contributor

If many countries back out, then yes, I think that they should shoot for next year; however, I do understand how much work and money is involved.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

If the athletes are all vaccinated, I don't see the problem with this year.  Same thing for spectators - welcomed if vaccinated.  

The athletes may prefer to pass on attendance this year, but that's another matter.

Trusted Contributor

Athletes who have been training hard, want to go.  What I see though are big bucks for a country that does not deserve the money or such a gala event meant to impress the world most of which is grieving and burying their dead still.  

Respected Contributor

No. What needs to happen is the Japanese government needs to get their people vaccinated! My brother lives there and they are so far behind most of the world. Hospitals are full of covid patients.
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819  I think we should boycott the Olympics in China, not due to possible covid for the athletes, but for their horrible human rights record. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Anonymous032819  I think we should boycott the Olympics in China, not due to possible covid for the athletes, but for their horrible human rights record. 

@CAcableGirl2Because of their terrible human rights record not only in their own country but the harrassment of Hong Kong and the unstable conditions facing Taiwan, they should never have been considered for the olmpics as a venue. Shame goes to the committee who felt otherwise.....wonder how many of their family members died or got sick from covid and now are long haulers?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolute no to doing away with the Olympics. Yuck. The Olympics are lovely.

I agree the problem is that other countries don't yet have access to the vaccines needed to create a safe situation for the athletes. So it might make sense to postpone again.

Edited to add: My main concern is the health of the athletes. If they want to compete at the top of their sports they cannot afford to get Covid. There are young athletes who fought off very mild Covid and still have to use inhalers during games because they still get so short of breath. Heart problems as well. I understand wanting to compete at one's peak, but it's just not worth it to risk your future abilities.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr