Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Think That the Olympics Should Be Cancelled?

I'd like to think those parents who spent a great deal of time, money and encouragement for their children's olympic ideals would be proud of them any way.  Any well rounded adult (parent) would be satisfied that they helped their children pursue a goal.  In this way, the ends justify the means.  Not everyone will have their dreams come true in life.  Olympics or not.

People move on from failure.  Some don't.  For those who do the social capital they have of extended family and friends who love them should bode well for them.  There are worse things in life that could happen to them.  How about just living and trying to live out your dreams; while causing no harm to another?  Sucess isn't what you get at the end (imo).  It's the journey you're on trying to get there.

This is no different than any othe pursuit.  Pushing vs. encouraging: you say tomatoe I say tomato.  Semantics.  I did both but they were carried out the same way.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I don't know what the situation with the virus is in the area they are planning on holding them, so it is hard to comment with informed ideas, but in general, I think it's time to get the world moving. 

If cases are falling in many countries like they are here in the US (yes, I know India isn't lately) it's time we get back on the horse and ride. 

People's answers are going to be based on where they have lived and what has transpired with the virus for them, but here in Ohio, things have been fairly open for a year now. We have had some mandates like masks and occupancy limits, but really, with enough precaution at the games, and those going back home following protocols after returning, I seriously doubt there will be a big surge from it all. 

It's just beyond time to get moving again and see where it goes. Another year of lockdowns and waiting is just not needed at this time, in many areas of the world. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I don't know what the situation with the virus is in the area they are planning on holding them, so it is hard to comment with informed ideas, but in general, I think it's time to get the world moving. 

If cases are falling in many countries like they are here in the US (yes, I know India isn't lately) it's time we get back on the horse and ride. 

People's answers are going to be based on where they have lived and what has transpired with the virus for them, but here in Ohio, things have been fairly open for a year now. We have had some mandates like masks and occupancy limits, but really, with enough precaution at the games, and those going back home following protocols after returning, I seriously doubt there will be a big surge from it all. 

It's just beyond time to get moving again and see where it goes. Another year of lockdowns and waiting is just not needed at this time, in many areas of the world. 

Easy Google search. The Olympic Games are an international event held in a different country every 4 years with athletes from all over the world. It is not an American competition. We merely compete alongside everyone else with our best athletes. The Olympics are being held in Japan this time.

Japan does not have the same access to vaccines we do. You can look up their lockdowns and travel restrictions as well. They are taking a very defensive posture about Covid that is working fairly well for them. I don't think they care what Americans think about what they are doing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@gardenman 

The question isn't  the age of those when they competed in the Olympic, but the age they began training to prepare them to compete. 

The mention of children's sports was to give an example of demanding pushy parents. 

The OP was about canceling the Olympics.The treatment of young children in preparation to compete was relevant since it was the reason I feel should canceled.

@occasionalrain  that's a very good point and one has to wonder who planted the seed to become an Olympian.  

Parents "push" their children in a variety of directions, some sports some academics or maybe something else.  Unless the child has a real passion they will not excel and loose interest.  Those that want to excel and train to reach that level should be encouraged and allowed to achieve their goals.  Hard work and dedication are good things.

@CrazyDaisyI know a woman who was pushed as a child to be a competitor in the Swimming category of the Olympics.  She swam everyday in their pool and the much larger community pool that had a tall diving board.  She attended college and was on their swim team with the continued hope of being chosen for the Olympics entering State competitions continuously and always coming in either the number 2 spot sometimes the number 3 spot and once as the winner.  She never made it into the Olympics.  While she was an outstanding and talented swimmer in many categories, she saw herself as a failure because she was never good enough for the Olympics.  Her lack of self confidence due to that, is who she is in her day to day.  It's very sad.

Learning to accept failure is a life lesson,  many people fail and succeed in numerous aspects of their life.  Wouldn't blame this on her not making it to the Olympics...there arecdeeper issues.

Yes, @CrazyDaisy, the deeper issue is when parents "push" their children. That is not the same as encouraging them in a direction that they have voiced interest in.

@suzyQ3 So how would you characterize the difference between encouraging and pushing?

@Puppy Lips, the definitions are clear. One is positive and the other is overreaching. Doesn't everyone know the difference when they encounter it?

@suzyQ3 I think there is a fine line between the two and that everyone would have a different opinion on where that line is.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@gardenman 

The question isn't  the age of those when they competed in the Olympic, but the age they began training to prepare them to compete. 

The mention of children's sports was to give an example of demanding pushy parents. 

The OP was about canceling the Olympics.The treatment of young children in preparation to compete was relevant since it was the reason I feel should canceled.

@occasionalrain  that's a very good point and one has to wonder who planted the seed to become an Olympian.  

Parents "push" their children in a variety of directions, some sports some academics or maybe something else.  Unless the child has a real passion they will not excel and loose interest.  Those that want to excel and train to reach that level should be encouraged and allowed to achieve their goals.  Hard work and dedication are good things.

@CrazyDaisyI know a woman who was pushed as a child to be a competitor in the Swimming category of the Olympics.  She swam everyday in their pool and the much larger community pool that had a tall diving board.  She attended college and was on their swim team with the continued hope of being chosen for the Olympics entering State competitions continuously and always coming in either the number 2 spot sometimes the number 3 spot and once as the winner.  She never made it into the Olympics.  While she was an outstanding and talented swimmer in many categories, she saw herself as a failure because she was never good enough for the Olympics.  Her lack of self confidence due to that, is who she is in her day to day.  It's very sad.

Learning to accept failure is a life lesson,  many people fail and succeed in numerous aspects of their life.  Wouldn't blame this on her not making it to the Olympics...there arecdeeper issues.

Yes, @CrazyDaisy, the deeper issue is when parents "push" their children. That is not the same as encouraging them in a direction that they have voiced interest in.

@suzyQ3 So how would you characterize the difference between encouraging and pushing?

@Puppy Lips, the definitions are clear. One is positive and the other is overreaching. Doesn't everyone know the difference when they encounter it?

@suzyQ3 I think there is a fine line between the two and that everyone would have a different opinion on where that line is.

Unfortunately, @Puppy Lips, I think that you are correct. I doubt very much whether any parent or coach or trainer would think that they are doing any damage.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I read this morning there has been an escalation of Covid in Osaka. I think it's too soon to have that many athletes from all over the world together.

Respected Contributor

No. I'm especially looking forward to the track and field events.

Respected Contributor

I think it should be a requirement that every single person there should be fully vaccinated- EVERYONE.....athletes, trainers, spectators (and they should be minimal), cameramen, on and on