Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Think That the Olympics Should Be Cancelled?

Postponed but for reasons other than the virus. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. I read an article which said that the Japanese people also wish it was cancelled. They are way behind in their vaccinations, leaving their people very vulnerable.Japan has built a beautiful complex for this and has spent big bucks doing so but it is not worth losing lives. They should wait until the athletes and the Japanese are fully vaccinated. It would be great if they could figure out some way to help get the athletes vaccinated. I don't think that waiting a year or more will matter unless they get vaccinated.

Honored Contributor

Yes...and I think CHINA should be eliminated for a variety of reasons.

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

The Olympics were supposed to happen last year, but as we all know,  they didn't. They were postponed until this year.

As much as I enjoy rooting for the home team, I don't think that it would be safe for the athletes.

I can see countries pulling out, out of an abundance of caution for their athletes, and if I had a day as an athlete, I would not go.

Maybe do away  with the Olympics altogether.

I don't know what the answer is.

Thoughts?

Doing away with the Olympics is a bad idea. It is one of the ways in which all the countries of the world are united. I do think it should be postponed for another year. If too many countries back out then it is not fair to their athletes and to ours. The athletes can't get much satisfaction in winning if a large number of their competitors are not in the competition. Just my opinion.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

If we want to start talking about which countries should be eliminated it can be a slippery slope.  I can think of some others wouldn't dream of.

Let's leave that aspect of the discussion alone so the thread doesn't get poofed.  Please?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

My thoughts - Japan is desperate for the income and will not be cancelling.  For a sophistated country, they have been very slow with vaccinations and are purportedly in another wave.

That said - no one can force an athlete (at least from this country) to participate.  Those who go with the team (IMO), including the atheletes, staff, coaches, etc. should be required to be fully vaccinated; and moreover, have to agree to procautionary proceedures, test as necessary, and when they are there (not mix with the public, etc.) It would be somewhat boring for them in not being able to enjoy the country as they normally would have done.

As far as you not participating if you were an athlete: that would have more meaning had you dreamed of competing, had trained since childhood, and had actually made the team.    I suppose we will get feedback from the real athletes sooner or later.

No, I am not a proponent of doing away with the Olympics altogether, although there have been situations, from time to time, that I did not deem to be equitable. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2   When China is host, we could deal with that.

I'd like to see the athletes have the say for Japan in 2021, not poeple like me who sometimes watch the summer Olympics and sometimes ignore them totally.  

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

The delayed 2020 Olympics are being held in TOKYO, JAPAN and NOT in China.

@Anonymous032819  The above is the SUMMER Olympics.

Winter Olympics will be held in Beijing, China-2022

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

If everyone is vaccinated and precautions are taken (social distance, masks if still needed) I think it would be okay.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

If everyone is vaccinated and precautions are taken (social distance, masks if still needed) I think it would be okay.

Being vaccinated is not mandatory.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky