Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think Halloween Will Be Cancelled

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Creek Street wrote:

My portch light will be on and the candy bowl will be full.  I'm tired of fake fear and outrage.

Do you know anyone who has had Covid or died from it?  I do, and I'm fully aware that nothing about this is "fake".  There's no need to live in fear, but taking precautions and being smart about it makes all the sense in the world to me.

You certainly can leave your porch light on and give out candy if you're comfortable doing that.  But please don't use the word "fake" when it comes to Covid.  Hundreds of thousands of families are in mourning because of it, and there are many more to come.

@NYC Susan  I know what you mean. My husband lost a number of friends in the beginning of this mess. He is very careful what he does and where he goes these days.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So if you don't want to open your door for trick or treaters and put out a bowl of candy how do you know children will be on their honor system and only take two pieces (I'm not trying to be a smart alec I really want to know how it works out)?

I've done this before when I knew I wouldn't be home all day, and there was always a significant amount of candy gone, but some still left.  So I assumed all or most of the kids weren't greedy.  If some were, then they were.  Not a big deal.

Bottom line for me is that maybe most or all will take just a piece or two, maybe not.  It's not something I'm going to lose sleep over.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

Kids are resilient. Do something else and make it fun. 

Exactly!  There are a lot of ways to be creative, and not give up on Halloween completely.  This Halloween can end up being the ones kids remember most fondly.  I know that the craziest "adventures" and mishaps that I went thru with my own kids are the ones they still talk about.  It's certainly possible to celebrate Halloween in non-traditional ways, and it very well might be more fun and memorable, and start new traditions!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Covid is a good reason to stop.    Kiddos do not need a tub full of candy!   Cavities, hyper-activity, diabetes...really.

As a child, a local family gave an apple and a nickel...how sensible.. 

As far as going door-to-door, not in this day and age.   Whenever it became necessary to x-ray candy prior to eating, it was time to stop this nonsense.  Our area just has one big party for all kids to go...it is smart and safe, but in 2020, skip it please! 

I am all about health and raising healthy children, but trick-or-treating once a year is not going to cause diabetes or cavities.  It's a fun activity, a long-standing tradition that lots of kids look forward to.

If I got an apple and a nickel when I was a child, I would have been really disappointed.  What child wants that?  It's not a treat, and treats are a big part of Halloween.

I agree about downplaying a lot of Halloween this year.  I'm feeling skittish about numerous people coming to my door.  But if I had children now, I would figure out some way to celebrate Halloween - and for sure it would include candy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Of course Halloween will not be canceled.   The way it's celebrated and enjoyed will be changed and altered. The calendar-wipers can not scratch off a day they don't want.

Exactly.

I remember two years when trick-or-treating was banned in my area.  Once right after a treacherous late-October snowstorm, and once after Hurricane Sandy when electrical wires were on the ground everywhere.  But it was trick-or-treating that was banned - not Halloween.  I think a lot of people are confusing the two.

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler -- You're the voice of reason.  Be careful, you can get in trouble for being reasonable!!!

What are the police gonna do -- arrest 5 & 6 year olds for visiting their neighbors?  It's crazy how people are so willing to do whatever government tells them!  

Halloween is NOT a government holiday.  The government has no authority to cancel it.  There is no law against trick-or-treating.

WAKE UP people!!

Esteemed Contributor

I. Feel if they can,t go to school,, why door to door for candy?  I see them playing out in the street all together on skate boards, bikes, playing basket ball,  in the parks, now door to door for candy.

Something they don,t need. People losing busines, but have Halloween.