Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Think Halloween Will Be Cancelled

@CrazyDaisy It is not, nor should it be, a "personal" decision. We are all in this together. One persons decision to not practice CDC guidelines affects us all. It is astonishing that some peop!e dont understand this. The U.S. is leading the planet in ignorance, too, it appears.

Honored Contributor

Yes. 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Well this is another thread that's taken a turn for the worse and will probably get shut down.

Respected Contributor

I think most parents will plan activities at home.  Hopefully, next year will be better.

Honored Contributor

Honor system, on children taking 1-2 pieces only.  

Trusted Contributor

After reading many people saying "all those germ filled hands reaching into the bowl"...um Halloween has been going on for YEARS.  Those little hands have reached into bowls for years and years.   You have one new virus this year.  Truth is their risk of severe syptoms let alone any sypmtoms is way lower than someone 65 and older.  Deaths in young people (from babies to college students) are almost non-existent.  The first age group to actually show a substatial percentage to the death toll is 45-54 years and that is about  5% of all coronavirus deaths.  More than 80% of deaths occur in people aged 65 and over. That increases to over 92% if the 55-64 age group is included.  The median age of death from this is 78.   And those that don't want to believe this just check the statistics.  All the charts show this.  If you are older than 65 than yes maybe handing out candy is not for you.  Maybe a disposable bowl at the end of your driveway.  If that still scares you then yes keep the lights off and forget about it.  No one says you have to participate and no one is faulting you for your fear. But to put down those that are at a substantially far less risk of this being anything other never knowing they had it, let them live. Both sides of the coin are fine.  But the extreme calling of names (and yes I've seen people on these forums calling people murderers, disgusting, revolting etc...")  and on the other end, being afraid to leave your home is your choice and that is fine too.  Only you can protect you.  But Halloween if done right is fine. The candy is wrapped.   Please remember "positive" is not a death sentence for everyone.  Positive is not even a trip to the hospitial.  Heck most of the positives never knew they had it.  For those over 65, stay cautious.  As I have maintained fear is different for each one of us.  No one is right and no one is wrong.  Do what you feel comfortable with.  The "science" on this is all over the place and depending on where you get your information, often dictates what you are reading. But the age statistics have remained the same.  

Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

After reading many people saying "all those germ filled hands reaching into the bowl"...um Halloween has been going on for YEARS.  Those little hands have reached into bowls for years and years.   You have one new virus this year.  Truth is their risk of severe syptoms let alone any sypmtoms is way lower than someone 65 and older.  Deaths in young people (from babies to college students) are almost non-existent.  The first age group to actually show a substatial percentage to the death toll is 45-54 years and that is about  5% of all coronavirus deaths.  More than 80% of deaths occur in people aged 65 and over. That increases to over 92% if the 55-64 age group is included.  The median age of death from this is 78.   And those that don't want to believe this just check the statistics.  All the charts show this.  If you are older than 65 than yes maybe handing out candy is not for you.  Maybe a disposable bowl at the end of your driveway.  If that still scares you then yes keep the lights off and forget about it.  No one says you have to participate and no one is faulting you for your fear. But to put down those that are at a substantially far less risk of this being anything other never knowing they had it, let them live. Both sides of the coin are fine.  But the extreme calling of names (and yes I've seen people on these forums calling people murderers, disgusting, revolting etc...")  and on the other end, being afraid to leave your home is your choice and that is fine too.  Only you can protect you.  But Halloween if done right is fine. The candy is wrapped.   Please remember "positive" is not a death sentence for everyone.  Positive is not even a trip to the hospitial.  Heck most of the positives never knew they had it.  For those over 65, stay cautious.  As I have maintained fear is different for each one of us.  No one is right and no one is wrong.  Do what you feel comfortable with.  The "science" on this is all over the place and depending on where you get your information, often dictates what you are reading. But the age statistics have remained the same.  

@eadu4   This is well stated.  I am also tired of seeing words such as "revolting" "disgusting" and the constant bashing that keeps getting repeated over and over again.

When posters continue to do this, it is a wonder just how much they are trying to convince everyone else that it isn't so much what they believe but wanting not to appear "revolting" themselves.

Your post is worth repeating. (but paragraphs are your friend lol)

Be well.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I don't know about everyone else but we never took our own candy as kids and as adults we handed out the candy. 

We didn't grab out of a bowl nor did we let kids do the same.

Kids hold up their little plastic pumpkins or themed-bags or even pillow cases to receive their candy.

Maybe it's just the way we did it and do it but I'm amused at the thought of trick-or-treaters "grabbing" out of a bowl.  There wouldn't be much left after a few grabs.  LOL

I will miss Halloween.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

In my neighborhood, there is very little door-to-door Trick or Treating.   One of the neighbors decorates her yard & most of the kids go there.

All the churches have a Trunk or Treat.    The cars back up in a circle, open their trunks, full of candy & the kids can walk around the parking lot.

Tired of all this "cancelling"    Not sure if it will officially be cancelled here, but doubt people will stay home.