Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think Halloween Will Be Cancelled

@Pezzie wrote:

I don't think it should be cancelled.  It's really one of the big event that children really look forward to.  They have already missed out on so much this summer, let them have halloween.

The children don't have to come to the door.  Put the candy out on a table in the driveway.  Sit outside, if weather is decent to enjoy the kids and their costumes. Mask on, of course.  Kids can reach into the bowl and get their candy.  You can advise if there is a limit.

@Pezzie @All those hands reaching in the bowl? Bad idea.

Honored Contributor

@Pezzie wrote:

I don't think it should be cancelled.  It's really one of the big event that children really look forward to.  They have already missed out on so much this summer, let them have halloween.

The children don't have to come to the door.  Put the candy out on a table in the driveway.  Sit outside, if weather is decent to enjoy the kids and their costumes. Mask on, of course.  Kids can reach into the bowl and get their candy.  You can advise if there is a limit.

Kids, with germs all over their hands, can reach into the common bowl.  That would be a no from me.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

In that case, candy can laid out on the table.  

Honored Contributor

Hey if you want a bunch of precious but germy children coming to your house, (not all of them wearing masks) standing close to you and breathing on you while touching a big bowl of treats touched by other children, knock yourself out.

I guess you could get like one of those Tshirt cannons they have at ballparks and concerts and blast candy out into your yard for them.

Halloween doesn't have to be cancelled. Just maybe the door to door begging for candy portion.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Jordan2

The Governors of New York and New Jersey are not going to allow children to go door to door,saying "trick or treat".

The people in both states have worked hard to bring the infection rate down. 

Parents will find fun ways to celebrate Halloween at home. 

Must have missed that proclamation.  When was it announced?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's a good idea...........just my intuition.

Maybe some type of in-home costumes, cute pumpkin cupcakes, etc.  Sort of a 'pumpkin party'. 

Something 'different', yet with a Holloween theme.

Decorations, etc.  

The children will have fun with that, imo.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

We passed out the candy; we didn't have hands reaching in to grab.

Although it is still a concern for hygiene either way.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Instead of candy given out, some places like Wendy's, McDonalds, etc. always

have Halloween packs for coupons for a free ice cream, hamburger. other

items.

My kids would receive other things besides candy. But you can't stop people

from giving candy. I remember as a kid receiving change pretty often. People

would wrap up a bunch of coins in foil. Pencils, juice pouches, other neat ideas.

Just a suggestion anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t think any announcement was made by Gov Murphy. He’s trying to get kids backs to school, gyms open and indoor dining. I don’t think Trick or Treating is even on his mind right now. I’m sure it will be a local decision.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not going to participate this year.A lot of the kids that have come to my door in the last couple of years haven't worn masks.I have also gotten fewer & fewer trick or treaters.Not worth the stress.

What I will do is bring a couple of big bags of candy to the clubhouse.The Homeowners Association is planning some sort of COVID friendly activity for the children in the development.Apparently, parents have to sign their kids up for it & will be assigned a time slot. This way they can control the flow & enforce social distancing.