Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think Halloween Will Be Cancelled

I have already decided that I'm not going to participate in trick-or-treating this year.  Just not comfortable.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Jordan2

The Governors of New York and New Jersey are not going to allow children to go door to door,saying "trick or treat".

The people in both states have worked hard to bring the infection rate down. 

Parents will find fun ways to celebrate Halloween at home. 

@Nuttmeg  How on earth are they going to enforce that?

Trusted Contributor

I don't think it should be cancelled.  It's really one of the big event that children really look forward to.  They have already missed out on so much this summer, let them have halloween.

The children don't have to come to the door.  Put the candy out on a table in the driveway.  Sit outside, if weather is decent to enjoy the kids and their costumes. Mask on, of course.  Kids can reach into the bowl and get their candy.  You can advise if there is a limit.

Honored Contributor

I haven't paid much attention in my neck of the woods but I know that haunted house events are being scheduled for October.

I don't know if Fright Fest at 6 Flags will take place this year but it may happend.

As far as trick or treat, I doubt our family will be out and about.

I will still make up Halloween bags for GS and GD, but our usual pizza fest will not happen.  *sigh*

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

The kids in my small country sub have always celebrated Halloween at school & attended planned parties but that's not happening this year so we've already talked about it & the homeowners that want to give candy will leave it at the end of their driveway...that way the neighborhood kids can wear their costumes & have a little fun. And for the naysayers, the kids will be with parents, wear masks, distance & not eat candy until it's packaging is cleaned so there's no need to be a funsponge.

Respected Contributor

It won't be even though it should be. Because people would make an uproar like they did for school & for their kids playing sports. Now it is starting as cases turn up in school & in kids playing sports. People just want to pawn their kids off on someone else so they don't need to be bothered.

Honored Contributor

I cancelled Halloween a couple years ago for myself.  Too much money for candy and not enough manners on the kids or the supposed adults.  

If I were in the mood, a simple Halloween house party is probably a better idea this year.  

Honored Contributor

This year yes....home family parties...but no mixes of kids. I will not be opening my door again and again to a bunch of kids.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Do you think Halloween should be cancelled this year? I have seen the candy and costumes out in the stores already. Parents have been uneasy about Halloween already, this bumps it up to a whole new level. I don't have young kids, but I wouldn't take them door to door Trick or Treating. You don't know if anyone in a household giving out candy is sick. I would let my child still dress up, maybe have a very small party with a couple of their best friends.

That wouldn't be cancelling Halloween.  That would be cancelling trick or treating, which is probably a good idea.  I know that our annual Halloween block party won't be happening, that's for sure!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Don't care what they do because I stopped giving out candy years ago. I couldn't be bothered anymore. There are so few kids in the neighborhood anyway.