Honored Contributor

Do You Think Halloween Will Be Cancelled

Do you think Halloween should be cancelled this year? I have seen the candy and costumes out in the stores already. Parents have been uneasy about Halloween already, this bumps it up to a whole new level. I don't have young kids, but I wouldn't take them door to door Trick or Treating. You don't know if anyone in a household giving out candy is sick. I would let my child still dress up, maybe have a very small party with a couple of their best friends.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think Halloween Will Be Cancelled

Yes.  In my state large gatherings, as in more than 10 people, are prohibited.  So, no Halloween parties.  I haven't heard about trick or treating but I'm sure that will be banned this year too.  No parent in their right mind would send their kids door to door this year anyway.  There will be other ways of celebrationg.  

Esteemed Contributor

yes...just another disappointment for the kids....makes me sad...no school....no sports..my grandkids were expecting things to be back to normal in Sept....i've told my daughter to be aware of their mental health...i worry.....of course there will be Halloween goodie bags for them here at Nana's!

Honored Contributor

Should be or will be?    I have a feeling it won't be, but maybe it should be.

BTW, I was at the grocery store a week ago and there was already the Halloween table filled with candy.    I cannot remember, in this moment, but was Halloween stuff always in the store in mid-August?  Probably was, I just don't remember and it seemed odd to me.  

Honored Contributor

Why would it be cancelled? Every trick or treater that has come to my home in the past has a mask on. I can't even tell if it is a girl or a guy, they have so much on their head! ha! Since the kids are supposed to be the one sector of the population that has less chance of getting the virus, I don't think anyone has the power to cancel Halloween. Just saying...

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

yes...just another disappointment for the kids....makes me sad...no school....no sports..my grandkids were expecting things to be back to normal in Sept....i've told my daughter to be aware of their mental health...i worry.....of course there will be Halloween goodie bags for them here at Nana's!

Yes, my grands and my great niece will come with their costumes and I'll have cookies and goodie bags for them.  I think it's up to the adults in a child's life to come up with fun activities and outings so the kids don't feel deprived.  We don't dwell on what the kids can't do this year or on what they are missing out on.  Also they all know and understand that there is pandemic and this year, we are living differently to stay safe and keep other people safe.  I'm already thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas with no big dinners or parties.  We still need to celebrate, dress up, have fun in smaller groups.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2

The Governors of New York and New Jersey are not going to allow children to go door to door,saying "trick or treat".

The people in both states have worked hard to bring the infection rate down. 

Parents will find fun ways to celebrate Halloween at home. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I think we will get Haloweeners this year. I'll wear a mask (a funny one) to answer the door, and I'm sure the little kiddies will have Haloween masks on. I don't see how this could be more risky than going to the grocery store.

Honored Contributor

Well you can't cancel Halloween which will occur on October 31, pandemic or no pandemic. Now whether trick or treat and celebrations are cancelled, that's different.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Jordan2

The Governors of New York and New Jersey are not going to allow children to go door to door,saying "trick or treat".

The people in both states have worked hard to bring the infection rate down. 

Parents will find fun ways to celebrate Halloween at home. 

just don't know how much more parents can handle.....my children are parents...and they have so much on their 'plates' to deal with.....i think they were hoping for more normalcy in Sept......