Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think Corporate "Giving" (not just QVC) Affects Prices?

[ Edited ]

@carlycat wrote:

No, their corporate giving does not raise their prices. It lowers their corporate taxes, which is why they do it. Just like your giving is a deduction on your income taxes, corporations are always looking for ways to lower their taxes.

ITA.

Even with individuals, donations affect taxes.

And if anything, just feel good that you’re making a difference.

No more; no less.

I’m noted for questioning things a million times over

but there are times when...donating just makes one feel good.

I don’t read too much into it. It’s a win-win-win.

It’s funny how people don’t understand this.

You either pay the government (taxes) or non-profits (donations).

Probably the same people who jump up/down saying 

‘I got a tax refund!!!’, like it’s found-money. Ah, dude...no.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  I think everything a company does is reflected in the prices we pay for their products.  

While companies like to see themselves as good samaritans, I may not approve of the causes they support and don't want any of the money I paid for a product to support those causes.  

Some say companies use those donations as tax deductions, so donations are not reflected in the prices we pay.  I'd like proof of that.  

So, I think they should stay out of the donation business altogether.

Esteemed Contributor

Short answer, yes to some extent.  Corporate donations can be to manage the tax liability, reduce profits or as an operating expense such as marketing.  Whatever the reason, they all play into the pricing. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All the money has to come from somewhere.  That's the point.  And I'd rather decide for myself where it goes.  Companies should at least give customers the option of where they are sending it.  A few choices would be nice. 

Honored Contributor

Most of these places will say,

’‘Do you want to donate to....xxxxxxx?”

Just say ‘no’ and keep the line moving.

Boom.

Fixed it. 

Honored Contributor

I use Amazon Prime Smile to donate to Friends of UNFPA, the lead United Nations entity for promoting the health, dignity, and rights of women and girls in 155 countries around the world.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner 

When companies donate money - they get a BIG tax-write off. It doesn't come out of their pockets. It's great that they donate --- and they should -- but they don't need to advertise it. They also do it so the communities notice how generous they are. LOL

Years ago, I was at the cashier at Walmart and she asked if I wanted to donate. I said, I know a VERY RICH family that u could get money from - their name is WALTON!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

@Sooner 

When companies donate money - they get a BIG tax-write off. It doesn't come out of their pockets. It's great that they donate --- and they should -- but they don't need to advertise it. They also do it so the communities notice how generous they are. LOL

Years ago, I was at the cashier at Walmart and she asked if I wanted to donate. I said, I know a VERY RICH family that u could get money from - their name is WALTON!!!!!!!!!

@kivah  That is priceless!  Great response.  I wish I had thought of it!

Ten yeas ago, I thought it was a nice thing that more businesses were doing events and special items donating to charity.

Now it is everywhere I do, I am asked to donate.  Almost every time I pull up a site to buy something, there is a big splash about what they are doing for some cause somewhere on the planet.  Sometimes I think, why are so many geared toward foreign countries rather than needs in this country. . . Sometimes I think the sums of millions are a lot of money.

Sometimes I think shouldn't their emphasis be on the company, their customers and what their product is doing for me.   Aren't they a business first after all?  Sometimes now I wonder.

I am beginning to think that we as customers are forking over an awful lot of money to charities not at our discretion or at our budget, or even at our own tax savings to make corporations feel good, look good, and snag a giant write-off.  Are we paying more and getting less--as customers?  And we have NO voice and NO vote in this.  

At least with tax dollars you do have an avenue to complain.  What good that does, I don't know, but there is at least some accountability built in.  With companies, no they take your money for whatever whim the President, COO or whomever else has. 

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I'll drop a contribution in a collection box for a good cause - but hate to have cashier ask me if I'd like to donate to ___________.  Answer:  NO

Don't believe it's her/his job or business

Everyone has their hand out for money....I just say NOT TODAY.  I CHOOSE WHAT CHARITIES  I donate too. I check them out first. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Sooner 

Wow....you told her.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

If I felt that strongly about a business, I guess I wouldn’t

be shopping there....but that’s just me.