Honored Contributor

Do You Think Corporate "Giving" (not just QVC) Affects Prices?

Almost every time I buy something online recently or purchase something in a store, I see information about how much the company gave or donated to this or that, or am asked to make a contribution to something.

Sometimes a bell rings and the cashier points out who made the donation or something like that.  After a little shopping outing last week, then coming home and purchasing some items online I started to wonder if higher prices are because of that.  

Donations made by corporations come from somewhere--so I assume not out of THEIR profits.  So I wonder if anyone is adding this all up?  How much are we really forking over for companies to get kudos and tax credits for?  And for donations that the donor really has no or little control over? 

Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think Corporate "Giving" (not just QVC) Affects Prices?

We use Amazon Smile and give to our local animal shelter. 

Esteemed Contributor

ITA!   We give to causes that we care about or that have touched our lives personally.  And where we have researched and know the money goes to the cause!

I don't like to be harrassed at any store for a donation.  I don't trust cash donations especially as people are not to be trusted anymore IMO.......We have enough stress in our lives not to have to be almost "embrassed"  to say NO, but I say it anyway as we donate more to charity than some people make in a year. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'll drop a contribution in a collection box for a good cause - but hate to have cashier ask me if I'd like to donate to ___________.  Answer:  NO

Don't believe it's her/his job or business

Esteemed Contributor

I would say that many aspects of the issue are possible.  It's not a strong factor in my purchases anywhere.  I try to be aware of things happening around me but my default is to not assess from a position of cynicism.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I do think no matter what any company is donating to, someone pays for that.  When a local car dealer supports a Little League team, someone pays.  When a cosmetic company contributes products to Super Saturday, someone pays.  There are literally thousands of examples.  

When I purchase whatever I want to buy, while I'd prefer not to benefit a seller who supports a cause which I'm deadset against, I'm sure a small part of the money I spend goes to causes I personally might not contribute to yet I really am not opposed to those causes, so my little contribution is okay with me.

What I do try to do is NOT to buy something just because there's a company or organization donating part of the proceeds to a cause.  If I want to make  donation, I just donate what I feel is appropriate for me.

Trusted Contributor

@LindaSal : Gee, I’ve never been harassed and never had trouble saying not today if asked. I don’t find it embarrassing at all to say no.

Super Contributor

No, their corporate giving does not raise their prices. It lowers their corporate taxes, which is why they do it. Just like your giving is a deduction on your income taxes, corporations are always looking for ways to lower their taxes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Amazon Smile and give to Rock Creek Cats a small all volunteer non-profit rescue in suburban MD/DC area.

I also use iGive online, numerous online companies including QVC & HSN participate with a % donated based on your total purchase. Everything I purchase from participating companies I use are done through the iGive website, and have designated Rock Creek Cats.

When I use Smile & iGive, I know where my donation goes, when the grocer asks for donations, I do not know the organization and will not participate. Other than Smile and iGive, I donate direct to my chosen charitable organizations. 

Honored Contributor

It probably does, unless it comes out of a separate charitable foundation.  That's okay - many times the company considers it "public relations" - just another corporate overhead expense.