Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Say Either of These Phrases?

I've heard the expression waiting on line, but don't use it.   I would say I was waiting IN line.  I never heard the other expression at all.

An expression I hear a lot these days that I find odd is "not trying to".  Like if someone had a food that I didn't want to eat (say sardines) I would say, "I don't want that" or "I'm not going to eat that" whereas my daughter would say, "I'm not trying to eat sardines".  If it's hot and I don't want to go out I would say, "It's too hot".  She would say, "I'm not trying to sweat".  LOL  I always want to say to her, well, if you're not trying to, then don't.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've heard & used both"on line" & "in line."  Though I've read "gave onto" in novels, I've never heard it used by anyone referencing "facing out."

My paternal grandmother, who never drove, used to say "carry" or "carried" when speaking of someone picking her up to take her somewhere.  As in "Cousin Bobby carried me to the grocery store."

Honored Contributor

My beloved sister would get upset when she heard someone say "it was so fun."  Growing up, we always said "it was so much fun."  I remember it sounding weird to me also, but I got used to it.  I don't know what changed it, just the next generation, I guess.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Stood ON line is typically British, or possibly Canadian as well. I haven't heard the other expression, but it may also be British.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@SilleeMee ... I know they moved here from NYC, but I think she grew up in CA. Every part of the country has so many interesting ways of saying things.

Born and raised in CA and we use neither of those phrases.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

They are both frequent variants of standard English.  No arrests are likely by the grammar police.

Respected Contributor

On television (OK confession, Housewives shows) when they order in a restaurant they say, "I'll do the salmon" or "I'll do a tequila", etc.  Do people really say that?  Just curious.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

The only bit of phraseology that ever made me cringe was when I was licensed in quite a few states and we had just gotten (another state) added to our lineup. 

When we first started talking to people in (this other state) on the phone I kept hearing, when I would ask which coverage they would prefer (or some sort of a 'choice' question like that) - 'It don't make me no never mind'.

Now - I DO try to be open and accepting, but that one really got my goat.  The first time I recall responding something like 'uh, excuse me?'.  I had no clue what the person meant.  After I caught on I just tried to respond and move along without going insane.  Smiley Happy

*edited to remove the name of the state because you never know who might be offended, although no offense intended.

@chickenbutt

Yep - heard this one, old mountain speak in the Blue Ridge Area.  Not used much now, but older people 'up that way' still use it.

As a person who loves words their hx and usage, this one always makes me smile.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

@SilleeMee ... I know they moved here from NYC, but I think she grew up in CA. Every part of the country has so many interesting ways of saying things.

Born and raised in CA and we use neither of those phrases.

@Moonchilde .... Hmmm...well, California is one long state. Someone on the board mentioned that people in North Jersey say one thing, and people in South Jersey say another. There are a lot of transplants in California also. You never know.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

The only bit of phraseology that ever made me cringe was when I was licensed in quite a few states and we had just gotten (another state) added to our lineup. 

When we first started talking to people in (this other state) on the phone I kept hearing, when I would ask which coverage they would prefer (or some sort of a 'choice' question like that) - 'It don't make me no never mind'.

Now - I DO try to be open and accepting, but that one really got my goat.  The first time I recall responding something like 'uh, excuse me?'.  I had no clue what the person meant.  After I caught on I just tried to respond and move along without going insane.  Smiley Happy

*edited to remove the name of the state because you never know who might be offended, although no offense intended.

@chickenbutt

Yep - heard this one, old mountain speak in the Blue Ridge Area.  Not used much now, but older people 'up that way' still use it.

As a person who loves words their hx and usage, this one always makes me smile.

When we lived in Southern Mississippi, people would say: "I might could do that." These were well educated people.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli