Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I should, but I don't. I work full time and any free time is precious to me. I also don't have the energy, physical or psychic, to put the bad fruit in the car and make a special trip to schlep it back, just for a $3-6 refund. I just don't buy that fruit at that store after that.

I don't make a special trip- just do it next time I shop there or if I am in the area for the most part.

For me, next time might not be for 2-3 weeks. I tend not to shop at major chains very often. I have had bad fruit at TJs, and I should have returned it. I love the store, but I'm leery of their fruit now.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I've never returned fruit.

I've gotten a so so watermelon or pineapple every so often, but I don't make a special trip to take it back. 

Honored Contributor

We consume at least 1 and often times 2 watermelons per week during the summer. We began buying them early May at Wegman's or Shop Rite.  We have not had 1 mushy one the entire season.  I do not thump or examine them, just pick one up.

Occasionally we've had a cantaloupe or honey dew that was harder or not as flavorful as we like, but that isn't the store's fault.

I only buy loose, not packages produce so if something is moldy it is my fault for not using it fast enough.

Sometimes in winter, a piece of citrus has a weird texture but it's probably due to Mother Nature.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't.  I can't even imagine returning it. It's one of those things - sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not.  I'm pretty good at picking out produce, at this point, so I have few losses.

But last year I had the problem that you are having this year - in some categories I just couldn't get any really great fruit. 

No.  I would not.  It is an agricultural product. The grower has no way of guaranteeing each item. If that farm's products were all bad they would go out of business.  The farmer has the risk of growing the products we take a risk when we buy it.  That's the way it works and I'm fine with that.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Return Bad Fruit

[ Edited ]

I save every receipt, and return every single food item that is not good/fresh/etc.  The stores around here are very understanding, and all of them have said that they don't blame me and/or others who return 'off' items.  p.s.  If I can't or don't want to go back to the supermarket/store that day, I call the manager, and make a note of his/her name.  As I've said before, the nation-wide stores are always very accommodating. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I save every receipt, and return every single food item that is not good/fresh/etc.  The stores around here are very understanding, and all of them have said that they don't blame me and/or others who return 'off' items.  p.s.  If I can't or don't want to go back to the supermarket/store that day, I call the manager, and make a note of his/her name.  As I've said before, the nation-wide stores are always very accommodating. 

You must have quite a list of names between supermarket managers and telephone order takers.

Trusted Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

I never have, but I'm thinking I should. I have thrown out more peaches than I care to admit, this summer. They were pulpy ? Woman LOL inside , as opposed to ripe.  I have such a weakness for them, but when it comes to peaches, I find it hard to determine how ripe they are. I will return and have  returned bad meat.

That is really too bad. I have had years like that, too. This summer I think I have bought more good peaches than any other year. I love them.

Honored Contributor

no

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Return Bad Fruit

[ Edited ]

Lulu:  Yes, lol.........I know many of the store managers (clothing, dept. stores, supermarkets) by name.  Employees, too!  (I'm always very cheerful as I walk in, wander around. I always put a smile on the security guards' faces, too!)  I haven't had to return many items; can't think of the last time, actually.  Let's see...........I believe it was milk.  It made me feel slightly sick.  Then, a couple of days later, I noticed that all of that type/variety of milk was taken off the refrigerated shelves for a few or more days. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I would definitely return to the store with my receipt and request a refund.  I wouldn't take the produce back.  I think most stores around here wouldn't have a problem.  Produce is rather expensive now so they understand.