Honored Contributor

I bought a cantaloupe and opened it today and it was HORRIBLE! I threw it out like I usually do with inedible fruit. I feel fruit is a risk and your taking a chance on it. I never return the fruit for a refund.I found the fruit this summer wasn't very good.

Honored Contributor

No, I've never done that.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I bought a cantaloupe and opened it today and it was HORRIBLE! I threw it out like I usually do with inedible fruit. I feel fruit is a risk and your taking a chance on it. I never return the fruit for a refund.I found the fruit this summer wasn't very good.

I absoutely would return it.  I'd return it without a doubt.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Rather than take smelly stuff back, I've taken the register receipt and spoken to someone in Customer Service for credit.  Believe me, they are very happy you didn't bring in the offensive item!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 I've wondered, too, if people return fruit and other produce that was bad upon purchase.  Thanks for asking.

Honored Contributor

I don't.  I can't even imagine returning it. It's one of those things - sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not.  I'm pretty good at picking out produce, at this point, so I have few losses.

But last year I had the problem that you are having this year - in some categories I just couldn't get any really great fruit. 

Respected Contributor

I never have, but I'm thinking I should. I have thrown out more peaches than I care to admit, this summer. They were pulpy ? Woman LOL inside , as opposed to ripe.  I have such a weakness for them, but when it comes to peaches, I find it hard to determine how ripe they are. I will return and have  returned bad meat.

Honored Contributor

This reminded me of something I saw posted last year - or whenever it was - where a poster said that she would purchase several baskets of berries.  Then she took them home and dumped them all out. She put all the good ones into baskets that she kept and all the not-so-good ones into the other baskets and then took them back to the store.

I don't even know what to say to that kind of thinking!

Honored Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:

@Jordan2 I've wondered, too, if people return fruit and other produce that was bad upon purchase.  Thanks for asking.

You're welcome. I will return cold cuts if I bought 1/2 lb. I usually don't when I buy 1/4 lb.

Honored Contributor

Yes on occasion. I buy organic and it is pricey. Whole Foods policy is that if it is bad, return it. I will do this if it is, say, a watermelon and is completely rotten on the inside (like my last one). I am super careful with picking out fruit so I haven't returned much but I certainly will if it is bad. I have not returned an individual peach or apple or something like that but if all the apples in a bag were bad, I would (have not had this happened).