Honored Contributor

Do you remember when you were young and stupid? When your parents bought you things and you lived under their roof. I had no regard for my parent’s money, I left the lights on, I was wasteful, throwing things out, after all it wasn’t my money I was wasting. Then your an adult and start to realize the value of money, how expensive things are, and having to make choices ( case in point I wanted to go to Trader Joe’s but needed to buy my prescription medication, the medication won out so no Tj’s for me). My parents are both gone now, I wish I had the chance to apologize to them for being a brat who didn’t care about leaving the lights on, for the sacrifice on their part to buy me the things I needed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember When

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2   Yes.  I see and feel the same way you do.  I have become my Father who was so concerned with our dirty bare feet on his nice carpets... one time he called me at my friends house to come right home and TURN OFF MY BEDROOM LIGHT.  I had no regard for him paying the bills... never gave it a thought.  I was selfish and rude.

Now I am just like my father..... I told my husband to use the front door yesterday  to go out front instead of opening the garage door to go out... it costs 4 cents to open and shut the garage door on the electric bill... Woman LOL 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I also have to plead guilty. I should have been more appreciative and grateful for their sacrifices. 

Honored Contributor

I wasn't allowed to be a brat.  My single mother worked three jobs after the divorce and we didn't have much but we appreciated what we had. 

I've been working since the age of 16.  If anything, I've been told to live a little every now and then.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Do you remember when you were young and stupid? When your parents bought you things and you lived under their roof. I had no regard for my parent’s money, I left the lights on, I was wasteful, throwing things out, after all it wasn’t my money I was wasting. Then your an adult and start to realize the value of money, how expensive things are, and having to make choices ( case in point I wanted to go to Trader Joe’s but needed to buy my prescription medication, the medication won out so no Tj’s for me). My parents are both gone now, I wish I had the chance to apologize to them for being a brat who didn’t care about leaving the lights on, for the sacrifice on their part to buy me the things I needed.

No. I was never stupid. We were told about lights and water, even though we weren't billed for them because of our living situation, and we kids wasted neither. You always turned the light out as you left a room and never left lights burning. We certainly didn't wantonly discard anything unless it was trash. Clothes were handed down, remade, etc. Our parents, specifically my mother, hammered home the New England maxim, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember When

[ Edited ]

At sixteen years old I had a part time job.  I was expected to use a portion of my pay to contribute to the household expenses.  This resulted in my feeling that it was a good idea to turn off unnecessary lights and close doors to keep the heat from escaping.  When I moved into my own apartment at 20 years old, I was prepared to budget my income to meet my expenses.  My parents training has carried me in good stead throughout my life.

As to being a "brat", I'm sure I had my moments.  I've never been shy about speaking my mind.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't apologize to my parents for anything.  They had money and constantly complained about turning off the lights and wasting hot water.  I couldn't wait until I got married and I could  run all the hot water I want.  They wouldn't used the air conditioning in the car because it wasted gas.  I put my air conditioner on full blast.  They were both miserable people. 

Respected Contributor

I think we were all that way when we were young. You need to get a few miles on you to figure it all out. I still can hear my Dad say, " the power company doesn't know you're not using that light you left burning in the other room. I still heed that lesson.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  Not me but my grandchildren. They have everything and usually want for nothing. I'm happy that my children have done well in their adult life.

For me, I grew up with very little material things but lots of love. To this day I look at price tags before I even consider if I will buy an item. I hope that before I depart this world I can just go into a store and say I want that and buy it without looking. But, oh well !

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I wasn't allowed to be a brat.  My single mother worked three jobs after the divorce and we didn't have much but we appreciated what we had. 

I've been working since the age of 16.  If anything, I've been told to live a little every now and then.  Smiley Very Happy

@Laura14   Same only I started working at 15 with a work permit.

DS started at 14 with a work permit.

GS pays his own bills, and lives at home.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh