Honored Contributor

Do You Remember Calling Time & Temperature?

This may still exist...a number you could call to get the time and temperature. When I was growing up we called it (on our rotary phone) fairly often, probably because we only had wind-up watches that would end up running a few minutes fast or slow, and also would wind down and stop if you forgot to rewind it, which was often. If you didn't rewind it at bedtime it was probably stopped by morning.

As I recall we dialed the Time&Temperature number much more to find out the time than the temperature, although you were given both by an automated voice.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Calling Time & Temperature?

I still remember the number in St Louis...321-2222

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

I remember it was sponsoed by a local bank in Rockford, Illinois.

Respected Contributor

😋we called it a lot when we got our “new” push button phone.  Late 60’s, wait maybe early 70’s.  I just dialed the number, it’s no longer in service.  Ours was sponsored by the local electric company, and gave the time and current temperature.  

Super Contributor

@Pearlee - what a fun memory!💗

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Gosh, I do.

Whenever this type of question is asked and I remember, I get sad, because I remember that but forgot where I left my darn glasses ten minutes ago!

Contributor

I don't remember calling for the temperature but like you, I vividly remember calling for the time. 

I just checked my old, well used, hand filled-in phone book and found the number I used to call was to the US Naval Observatory.  The number is no longer active or I would post it here. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes, remember it well!
Esteemed Contributor

I remember that the numbers spelled p-o-p-c-o-r-n.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

OMG, yes I do remember doing that. Forgot all about it until I read your thread. I think we called more for the temperature.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead