Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Prepare Your Own Taxes

I could, but I don’t. 

I always did my own, but when I got married, my husband was using someone (someone I went to high school with) so we just stayed with her. 

Our taxes are very simple but I just don’t feel like fooling with them. I have enough on my plate. 

We took ours in last week. Hoping they’ll be done by the end of the week. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

No.  There are some things in life that are best left to a professional.  My daddy was an accountant and all my life he did mine until he was too sick to work anymore.  He told me to always us a good tax accountant, so I do.  My daddy never steered me wrong.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

We use a tax service group and have for years. But when we used Turbo tax  it was easy to navigate and we were never called on the carpet for messing up. 

Esteemed Contributor

I use TurboTax. Just submitted mine a few days ago.

Respected Contributor

I also use TurboTax and in fact, I just did mine this afternoon.

@Jordan2  I always go to Staples and buy the program and load it onto my computer.   Once you start preparing your taxes, they will ask you a few initial questions and then, based on your answers, all the forms you need will pop up.  They will guide you through all of them.   It's really easy.

Honored Contributor

My father is a CPA and he always did my taxes.  He is unable to do them anymore due to age.  Mine are very simple, so I use Turbo Tax.  My BIL always did his and my sister's taxes (when my father could no longer do them).  About ten years ago the IRS contacted him and told him he owed them quite a bit of money.  He immediately went to a CPA who determined a mistake he had made on his taxes.  The IRS owed them money instead of it being the other way around.  They've used that CPA ever since.  

I've considering going to a CPA, but mine is really pretty straightforward so I haven't done so.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

No, we've had a wonderful CPA for years do ours- kinda complicated with stock & all so it's well worth it,,

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

If you want to use a CPA (I do) ask if they can fit you in after April 15th by filing a six month extension.  By looking at your last year's tax (assuming nothing has drastically changed) they can give you an idea of your estimated taxes (still due by April 15th).  If you have enough with holding taken out maybe you don't owe anything extra.

Super Contributor

No we don't - we have a great CPA who does a terrific job. We prefer to have a professional deal with the taxes so if something is questioned by the IRS we have someone who will take care of letters etc. back to the IRS. Money well spent IMHO. Oh and my dad was an IRS Tax Examiner for many years LOL! 

Honored Contributor

I don't do my own taxes....way too complicated, with federal and three different state tax returns. Laws changing every year!

I used to do my kids taxes, using TurboTax.  It's fine for relatively uncomplicated returns.