Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Pay Bills Online Or Write A Check?

@Oneanddone I still write checks for my bills and put a stamp on the envelope. We have three auto pays, but other than that, I mail my bills. I feel like I have better control that way. Have never had a lost payment. Knock on wood.

happytuesday.gif

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I pay my bills on line using my bank's bill pay service.  I control,what gets paid and when the payments are made.  I would never allow a creditor to automatically take money from my account.  THink about it.  IF you allow that the creditor has your bank account information stored in their database.  SEt up 6 or 7 accounts like that and your bank account information is being held in all those other banks and creditors  databases.  TAlk about your hacking opportunities!

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet We have always had our mortgage come directly out of our account, as well as the mortgage on our rental, and our car insurance. Never a problem. Our mortgages are with our bank, so don't think they have much more info to gather.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

Both my husband and I got our CitiBank Costco card hacked.  Twice for me.  They caught about 6 fradulent charges and they called me.  Charges were taken off our bill. We only do bill pay and only write a check such as our LID payment because we can't do that online and it's mailed to another state.

Respected Contributor

neirher.  by phone onliy

Trusted Contributor

Bling, that is something I've never considered.

I may do it that way.

Thank you all for your input!

It's a shame we have to pick what we feel is more safe for us, but that's the way it is.

All of your responses have been very helpful.

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

I pay online, but NOT "auto-pay".

I prefer to initiate the transaction each time.

Respected Contributor

After an account was compromised, we stopped doing so much online, including paying bills. We created new accounts, and I will never put those bank accounts at risk again.

Esteemed Contributor

We write all of our bills by check except one insurance comes out monthly because they did away with paper bills. And we will always write checks as long as they exist! I don't like people going in the accounts (we have 2 bank accounts). I didn't even want Netflix to go in our account lol. but I had to let them and we watch our accounts every other day online for all activity.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56

You made me giggle out loud!  That was totally unexpected!!

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I don't pay my billsgiggling emoticon

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986