Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Pay Bills Online Or Write A Check?

I also write checks....feel safer that way.....my daughter does online banking and has had some issues .....will stick with the checks as long as i can!

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

The only bills we pay by check are those that are handed to us by someone standing there and who wants a check.  Otherwise, we pay all bills on-line through our bank's on-line bill pay system.  We tell them when we want the payee to receive the payment (some are electronic transfers while others are actual check) and they do the rest.  We get an imediate on-line confirmation number to show that they've got it in their pipeline.

@Cats3000 That's the way I do it - I don't do any type of automatic payments.  I don't want anyone but us dipping into the account.

Esteemed Contributor

I write a check for a couple of items.  Everything else is paid online except one is paid through my bank's bill to/pay to option.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Oneanddone wrote:

Do you pay bills online or write a check?

My bank card was hacked and I'm now reconsidering paying anything online.

I called the bank and they are going to reimburse me for the stolen money and send me a statement which I have to and will fill out.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to writing checks.

I'm thinking it's safer.

@Oneanddone

I doubt anything is actually 100% hack proof, so you have to go with the "least likely" option.

When you say "bank card" ..... do you mean a debit card ... or what?    Finding out why/how the hack took place may determine your next step.    

I keep seeing financial experts say to stop writing paper checks and use electronic drafts.    Less hackable and better record keeping.  

Valued Contributor

I pay my local newspaper subscription and Waste Management by check as they charge $5.00 to pay by phone.  All my other bills I pay by phone (saves postage).  I set up the pay by phone bills once with my bank info and never have to enter it again.  I do not trust paying bills on-line.  I guess my husband and I are "old school".  We do not have a debit card - we'd rather go to the bank once or twice a month and withdraw the cash from our account.

Much easier for us to keep track of our spending.

Honored Contributor

I usually set up payment through my bank.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Tink,

My bank card is a debit/credit card, so I can choose either way how to use it.

I use debit for all auto pays and credit for things I can get points on, like grocery shopping, car maintenence, etc.

I told the bank the name and location of the company that took the money out and they're checking it out and sending me a statement to fill out.

They also saw it online on my statement.

They immediately closed my account and are sending me a new card in the mail.

Honored Contributor

Ive paid all my bills online, mostly automatically, ever since the service first became available years and years ago.  I've never had one problem.  Hard to imagine why everyone doesn't use this service. 

My debit card was just compromised for about the fourth time so here I go changing it everywhere it's on file again.  It was a large compromise situation but they won't say with whom. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Oneanddone,  Years ago when I was married someone got a hold of our checking acct. no. and was depositing forged checks and then started cashing them.  We were not responsible.  Today, I actually do both.  Some accounts are strictly checks by mail and others online but I refuse to go paperless because if the computer goes beserk you will not have any records and if you live longer, you may not want to be online at all.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I hear ya KatCat1!!!Cat LOL