Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Pay Bills Online Or Write A Check?

[ Edited ]

Like most of you, I pay online and some are on auto pay as a gym membership. I pay my cable bill each month by going to their site. They are notorious for mystery fees that just pop up. A dollar here and there and your monthly is jacked up without you even realizing it. I pay using my CC and not through my bank. I get cash back with purchases.

Never used the bank card as a debit card. I don't think that is safe. My CC was hacked and I was notified by the CC as the purchases were out of character for me. They went through each purchase 4 days prior. 3 purchases were for gas under $30 and the 4th was at a supermarket for $44. I don't own a car and never bought gas unless I was paying for my share during a road trip.

I rarely write a check but I do. It is 2017 and my receipt book is 2008 2009 2010 2011 on the back cover. I cringe when I have to reorder checks. I let the reminder go for years before I need to pass the slip to the bank. Then the box comes with 10 stacks. sigh

Respected Contributor

The only people I know who have had their accounts hacked are those who banked or used credit/debit cards online.  They used to steal your mail to get your info......I think that has now become old hat, so I continue to pay credit card and a few other bills by check.  My house payment, car payment, and utilities are automatically debited from my checking account every month. My pay check is also automatically credited to the same account.  I have a couple credit cards, but no debit card.  Mine is an S&L rather than a bank, so I don't think they even offer debit cards.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Online, exclusively.  Been doing it that way, as creditors started having that availability, for a number of years.  I really like it.

I remember when I used to mail checks and that was always troubling.  You would mail them out some 10 days before due but never knew if it sat on somebody's desk uncredited (Have had that happen).

I take good care to keep my computers up to date and protected as much as possible.  My cell phone isn't a smart phone, and even if I had one I would NOT put private, financial, information in it anyway.   Much easier to get burned.

So far, so good.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much for all of your input!

I of course cancelled the card and will be receiving a new one.

I do have bills that are automatic debit.

But now I am afraid to do that.

They hacked in, and I don't feel safe doing online banking anymore.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

The only people I know who have had their accounts hacked are those who banked or used credit/debit cards online.  They used to steal your mail to get your info......I think that has now become old hat, so I continue to pay credit card and a few other bills by check.  My house payment, car payment, and utilities are automatically debited from my checking account every month. My pay check is also automatically credited to the same account.  I have a couple credit cards, but no debit card.  Mine is an S&L rather than a bank, so I don't think they even offer debit cards.

I also use a local S&L here in Ohio and yes they offer a debit card.  In fact, if you want a card to use at the ATM machine, they don't even offer those anymore.  All cards issued by the bank are a debit card and have the Visa logo.  I tried to get just a plain ATM card. 

My husbands does no on-line banking at all nor does he shop on-line using his debit card but his card has been hacked a few times.   

Honored Contributor

@Oneanddone

Some paid on line, some paid by check.  Not everyone has an on line bill paying option.  

I'd like to sign up  to pay credit card bills on line.  There are times we've been charged a late free because they did not process the payment in time even though we mailed it in a week plus before it was due.  This is very frustrating.   

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I do it both ways.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

All my bills are automatically paid via credit card and I write one check a month to the bank to pay off the card.  (I get LOTS of points!)

Respected Contributor

I don't pay my billsgiggling emoticon

Respected Contributor

Most everything comes out on auto pay.   There are a few things I write checks for, but not many.   

Some school fees have to be paid by check.   I pay the lawn guys by check