Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Miss Shopping, Going to Grocery Stores, Etc.?

I miss meeting friends for breakfast or lunch, having my hair done, and getting pedicures. At least it has cooled down into the eighties during the day and the forties at night so you can eat outside on the patio.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I don't understand why more folks in this thread aren't using the curbside service at their grocery stores. It's available and incredibly easy. No different than shopping on Amazon, but with groceries.

@Porcelain 

I have it set up so that I have groceries delivered to my front porch every Friday morning.  I have been doing this since March and it has worked out great.  

I like to pick out my own produce and don't want one more person handling my food. I go during senior hours and am usually the only one in the store, except the employees who are all wearing masks, as I am.

Honored Contributor

I miss shopping --- in real stores --- so, so much!!!!  I miss going out to restaurants so, so much!  Just taking little trips and stopping here and there, or going to visit friends, etc.  Just being able to go where you want, when you want.  The FREEDOM -- that's what I miss!!!  I am a homebody, always have been.  But DH and I have always enjoyed our little outings.  Made returing to our little nest all the more sweet!  We get along fine at home though and don't need constant outside amusement.  We are lucky in that regard! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not really.  I guess it's because I still go to the grocery store like I always did but was never one to go clothes shopping in person a lot.  I order a lot online and did before as well.

I still get together with friends for lunch (outdoors only so far have been doing it all summer...many restaurants have heat lamps) though I realize that will probably end as it gets really cold out.

I'm still getting my nails done and going to the hair salon.  However I realize that could end like it did for several months back in March.

I miss not being able to go out in public without a mask....I wear them because I must but hate wearing it.

I miss getting together with my mah jongg group twice a month.

ETA;  I miss traveling...we were supposed to go to Spain in June. 

I miss seeing my mother.  She turned 94 last week and lives in Fl.  I'm in PA and too afraid to fly yet I know a lot of people who still fly.   I can't get my head around that.  I also heard a story on the news recently that they are now packing them in again on planes with the middle seats being used once again.  Driving is not an option for me....it's too far and I physically can't do that.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  I've been doing parking lot pickups for groceries, etc., and miss picking out my own stuff off the shelves.   I don't like the substitutions the 'pickers' make for me.  I'd like to go inside a store and read labels - maybe run into a neighbor or two.

Hubby and I used to go shopping just for something to do some days -- shopping and lunch.  I miss restaurants soooo much.  I'd love a good steak!    We traveled a lot to nearby towns to shop or across the country to sightsee.  Looking forward to shopping again one day.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I didn't miss shopping during spring and summer at all. When fall rolled around I started missing it. Fall is my favorite time to shop at markets, candy stores, home decor stores, book stores, and gift shops. 

Online shopping is not something I enjoy.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I miss it!  I still go to the grocery store about once a month and to the dollar stores once or twice a month.

As far as clothes shopping, I prefer to touch and feel what I buy beforehand.  Plus, I'm hard to fit (especially pants & jeans) so I need to try on just about everything.  Our local mall has become a shell of itself within the last year (not COVID related) so if I want to shop at a major department store, it's about an hour away (compared to what used to be 20 minutes).  I haven't done that yet.  The few things I've needed and purchased in the last few months have been ordered and surprisingly, everything has fit.  I've even ordered several things from the Q and I haven't ordered clothing here in well over 20 years.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I grocery shop weekly.  I have been into several stores for clothes, homegood, etc. shopping a couple of times.  To be honest, one of the reasons I've not been in stores like I have in the past is the fact that I have to wear a mask.  I get too warm very quickly and it ends up just not worth it to me.  

Our weather was very cold yesterdsay and the stores had the heat cranked up.  It was crazy.   

Esteemed Contributor

I never stopped shopping. We wore masks ans gloves, washed our hands like there is no tomorrow and used hand sanitizer. We can't stay homebound forever. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love eating but I detest grocery shopping. Once I discovered online food shopping, way before Covid, I was hooked. Once in awhile I miss picking up certain last-minute items but I can live without them. On the other hand, I do miss dining out at my favorite local restaurants. My husband and I grabbed sandwiches a couple of times but, frankly, I felt it wasn't worth the hassle. We do take-out from our favorite Chinese restaurant a few times each month. Basically, we have adjusted to our crazy life.