Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Miss Shopping, Going to Grocery Stores, Etc.?

@tansy 

I have to admit I have gone to Trader Joe's and Costco a couple times taking advantage of their senior hours but mostly doing delivery.  

Respected Contributor

I wish I did not need to go to the grocery store but if I want to eat I have to go.

Honored Contributor

NO.  

What I love most about retirement, is spending more time at home.   I LOVE being home with my family, and am not happy anywhere but home.   

My routine right now is the same as it's been for the last 7 years.   I simply wear a mask when I buy groceries, get my toes done, and see a doctor.   

I'm good.

Trusted Contributor

I also like many other things more, but I do miss shopping.

I miss seeing the entire variety of things I can choose from, feeling the hand of fabrics, smelling the vegetables and weighing them in my hands. The experience of making my selections is as important as the items I select--I'll walk away from a great item or price if I don't like how it feels to be in the shop. I enjoy browsing and finding new things even if I won't or can't buy them--it's like going to a museum of contemporary living. I also like supporting local merchants, or even big retailers with local employees. If I have time, I enjoy being out and about, parking, walking, following my nose. I like bringing home packages instead of getting cardboard boxes.

I appreciate that the time to enjoy shopping is a luxury. And I especially appreciate that online sellers and delivery services make it possible for me to be safely sheltered and still have what I need. I've discovered new sources for things, and taken advantage of newly-available services. A thousand thanks to all those who make it possible.

Respected Contributor

I just got a little laugh out of reading this thread. 

It made me realize that in MANY MONTHS (!) I haven't been anywhere except out to dinner a couple of times and most other times exclusively to....

--Publix, Kroger, Aldi and Costco (plus one visit to Trader Joes)

--The YMCA to work out.  The Y is very sparsely occupied these days, so I'm basically alone there, too.

Other than meeting up with neighbors who are out walking the neighborhood, and having a ladlies' lunch one day at a private club that some neighbors belong to,  I'm not living much of a life.

Funny thing is, I don't really miss going out much.  I'm fine at home and find plenty to keep busy right there.

Trusted Contributor

I miss all of it:

Travelling

Shopping for fun

Eating in restaurants (many/most of our Covid cases are traced to bars and restaurants)

Having my space at home (husband is working from home)

Visiting with family and friends

BUT, I want to stay well, so I will stick with the protocols.  I just wish that more people would do the same.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why more folks in this thread aren't using the curbside service at their grocery stores. It's available and incredibly easy. No different than shopping on Amazon, but with groceries.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Yes, I (we) still go out but it's just not the same.

DH and I drove an hour from home today to do a little Christmas shopping.  The two places we went to were packed with people, masks were a must.  We had to stand in line inside the store before we could shop..which is a pain but they were trying to keep the number of shoppers in the store to a certain number.

We had lunch out and just got home.  It was a nice day...but it snowed...no accummulation but quite cold and windy for the first of November.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I don't understand why more folks in this thread aren't using the curbside service at their grocery stores. It's available and incredibly easy. No different than shopping on Amazon, but with groceries.

@Porcelain 

I have it set up so that I have groceries delivered to my front porch every Friday morning.  I have been doing this since March and it has worked out great.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most of the malls less than 45 minutes away from us are closed now they closed a couple of years ago...we don’t feel comfortable eating inside restaurants and rarely did much before the lockdown anyway other than a few high-end places for special occasions . DH will go pickup meals from some of our favorite local places; we try and support the local business owners. I have done almost all of my shopping online for several years, so I don’t miss going into stores. Tried ordering groceries online for pickup and worked great for awhile, but have started having to go back into the store again...just too hard to get everything via pickup. I enjoy looking online and not wandering through stores like I did years ago...when the malls were active and popular, it was a fun outing. No more. I think retail shopping may have changed forever. So many big stores have closed and won’t be reopening. I am saving a lot of money by not buying new clothes...where can I wear new clothes? The grocery store and dr office is almost the only place we go right now.