Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Miss Shopping, Going to Grocery Stores, Etc.?

I miss everything.  All of it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Yes. Not so much for the need to spend but for the need to see. I love people watching, I enjoy looking at what is new and up-coming, getting ideas for decorating or cooking, etc. Mindless escape that cost nothing.

Now? The rare times I go anywhere, I'm filled with stress/concern.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

I've never viewed shopping as anything but a chore.  I grocery shop online and have it loaded into my trunk in the parking lot.  Non-grocery items are purchased online and delivered to my home.  Our favorite local Mexican restaurant has permanently closed, so I have been honing my skill at preparing chicken enchiladas.

For the most part, I plan on minimal brick-and-mortar shopping for the rest of my life.  Online shopping is just too convenient.  And we never were big on eating out or ordering in, so I'll keep on making our favorite dishes.  

Esteemed Contributor

I miss shopping, but I'm getting use to it.  I feel like this is just a different way of life, and I am adapting as best as I can.

Trusted Contributor

i'm really not missing anything, and i'm grateful for that. i'm also grateful that i have a husband who doesn't mind going out and doing all the errands. i'm happy to just stay home. 

Esteemed Contributor

I miss browsing at Marshall's and Home Goods.  When I felt like getting out for a while those were my stores of choice.  Seeing and talking to people and seeing new merchandise lifted my spirits.  I will not be shopping there again until who knows when.  I kind of feel the same way about grocery shopping, no browsing just in and out with my list.

Honored Contributor

I wasn't shopping that much before all this.  I still do my normal shopping.  I'm in the grocery store at least once a week.  Yesterday went to Home Depot, Lowes, and then stopped into Kroger to pick up some bread.  No differenc than my normal shopping patterns except I had to wear a mask.

I do miss dressing rooms for the few times I do want to shop for clothing.

Honored Contributor

Nope.

Honored Contributor

My life hasn't changed too much.  I am mostly a homebody.  I go to the grocery store, the same as always...only masked.

Since I have been retired, I really don't shop anymore unless I need something specific and if I can order it online, I will.

We spent our summer the same as always...at our summer place, boating.

We didn't go to the NJ beach this fall because of COVID and didn't the year before because I couldn't walk because of knee pain.

I was hoping to go to Florida for two months this winter, but we aren't going and don't feel it is a good idea right now.

I really don't mind staying home.  It's mostly what I do anyway.  But, when it is cold,  snowy and dark here, I know I'll wish I was down south enjoying some sun.

Honored Contributor

No. Shopping for necessities is a chore. I'm very glad to have streamlined it. I much prefer to choose my groceries online to go pick them up. And Amazon for most of the rest. I do still go into stores occasionally, such as Lowes, when there's no viable alternative.

But slogging across miles of concrete at Walmart just to buy Command hooks etc was always plain depressing. The mall was worse. Having to remember where I parked at the mall, having to look on that dumb map to figure out where I was at g123 North in relation to a219, aka Bath and Bodyworks at the other end of the building, the public restroom, bored sales clerks if you could even find them in the dead, hushed department stores. 

All this in person shopping is just something I did because I'd always done it. It was something everyone did. Now that there are valid reasons not to do it anymore, I'm noticing that it really was all just a big waste of time.

I do miss hanging out, relaxed, waiting to meet a friend at a coffee shop. But that won't be back until Covid is gone. Even though I could do it now, it's not relaxed like before. It's not the same. It's not fun.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr