Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Miss Shopping, Going to Grocery Stores, Etc.?

Yes, love to shop and have a day with my friends , having lunch, driving to wonderful shopping malls and trying on ooodles of clothes !  Miss all the Christmas decorations and festivities !

Respected Contributor

@Sooner    When I was younger, thinner and healthier, I loved to shop.  My girls and I would spend an entire day at the Mall and we all had too much fun looking at things, trying things on, and yes, buying things. 

Not now.  Older, thicker, unhealthy and hard time getting around. Girls are grown and gone, I'm retired and getting on up in age and need very little.  Nothing fits like I would like even when I do manage to shop, maybe once a year. 

I did enjoy my Wal Mart runs to pick up groceries and odds and ends, but now, that's been drastically curtailed.  I am enjoying shopping Wal Mart online and picking up my groceries, but, I've even gotten decorative items from Wal Mart shipped right to my door. 

I mostly miss the interaction with my family.  They do try to take care of us and more or less we are isolated from outsiders. It hasn't been bad for me or my husband - just different.  

Esteemed Contributor

I still go to my favorite local grocers and Walgreens weekly, and I won't stop doing that. I also make as-needed trips to Menards or Home Depot for bird seed or corn. DH has health issues, so I do in-store shopping by myself - he loves shopping online! Restaurants are out of the question because of his health, but I still stop occasionally and get fast food to take home. Since I retired, shopping at the malls sort of lost an appeal to me, so I don't miss it. I've gone to Kohl's every few months - they're not very busy during the week, so I can take a little time to browse.

My life really hasn't changed that much. I go where I need to go and try to be careful. I'm not going to shelter myself in my home and I'll continue to make my weekly trips where I need to go.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I still go to my favorite local grocers and Walgreens weekly, and I won't stop doing that. I also make as-needed trips to Menards or Home Depot for bird seed or corn. DH has health issues, so I do in-store shopping by myself - he loves shopping online! Restaurants are out of the question because of his health, but I still stop occasionally and get fast food to take home. Since I retired, shopping at the malls sort of lost an appeal to me, so I don't miss it. I've gone to Kohl's every few months - they're not very busy during the week, so I can take a little time to browse.

My life really hasn't changed that much. I go where I need to go and try to be careful. I'm not going to shelter myself in my home and I'll continue to make my weekly trips where I need to go.

@jannabelle1  I don't know why anyone would shelter at home unless for health reasons. If places are open there is no reason not to go unless of course people don't follow guidelines. All stores around here require masks and I have never seen anyone not doing it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain, I don't use curbside service because I need to get out and I trust the precautions that my local grocers have taken to make my weekly shopping safe (along with my own precautions). If you choose grocery shopping online and/or curbside pickup, good for you. I choose to go to my local grocers and feel just fine doing that.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@jannabelle1  I don't know why anyone would shelter at home unless for health reasons. If places are open there is no reason not to go unless of course people don't follow guidelines. All stores around here require masks and I have never seen anyone not doing it.

Nor do I, @proudlyfromNJ. But I keep hearing about it here as if those of us who are concerned about this pandemic haven't found a happy medium that suits us.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Nor do I, @proudlyfromNJ. But I keep hearing about it here as if those of us who are concerned about this pandemic haven't found a happy medium that suits us.

To answer all of you:  Some stay home because they simply have too much to lose to otherwise take a chance.    We are in a position where we can't afford the risk. 

Honored Contributor

I do not miss shopping.  I havent really shopped in malls  in years.  To much walking for my back.  I do enough damage online.  But i do miss daily grocery shopping, visiting with checkers.  I miss traveling.  I am a hotel fanatic, and love staying in nice hotels   I miss museums ad just the normalacy of everything

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't miss shopping and going to the grocery store, mainly because I never stopped grocery shopping and I started retail shopping as soon as the stores were open again. Even at the beginning of the lockdown, I was going to the store 3 or 4 times per week. There was hardly anyone in the market or on the street, so it was fine. Unless you have chronic health issues or are frail elderly, there is no reason not to go shopping as long as you maintain a social distance, wear your mask and avoid crowds. We can't live our lives hiding under the bed. Social isolation is more deadly than any virus.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

To answer all of you:  Some stay home because they simply have too much to lose to otherwise take a chance.    We are in a position where we can't afford the risk. 

@Sooner   As are we.  It just isn't worth the risk for us either. Fortunately, we like being at home and we are comfortable and safe.  There is almost nothing that you can't order online . Our children and neighbors check in on us often and we stay busy "piddling" with our little projects.  

What may seem boring for some is contentment for us, not self imposed isolation.