Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Miss Shopping, Going to Grocery Stores, Etc.?

I never stopped going to the grocery store.  They've all been opened around here.  Generally once a week, sometimes twice a week.

I've been to the hardware store, Walgreen's, the deli numerous times, the gourmet grocer (they have "nice" vegetables and good selection of ice cream and frozen foods you don't find in regular supermarkets), liquor store, the "French" bakery, take-out fast food places. 

Been to the bank at least twice a month. 

Been to dentist twice.

Been to audiologist twice.

Out to "outdoor" lunch several times, "indoor" lunch one time.  

Our church resumed Masses on July 4th weekend - so I've been going to Mass.  Went to two "in person" socially distanced meetings.

I'm not a traveler.  I don't even like to go across town!  If it's not on the East Side - I'm not going and I don't need it.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea what I am even buying for Christmas gifts this year. I am doubtful we will be seeing any family from out of our area which means gift cards or shipping something. Neither excites me. I don’t want anything at this point I would be willing to stand in line to get inside a store to buy!
Contributor

No.  The convience of ordering the groceries online, and either have them delivered or drive there and let them load the trunk has spoiled me.  I dreaded going to the grocery store, and now that I am shopping more online there is not the impulse to buy things I don't need (cookies, ect).  I am finding I am ordering a lot more fruits and veggies - so it has been a win for my household.  I think I will utilize the feature of ordering online a lot more often after this pandemic goes away.

I do miss going and looking at the different styles and things, not so much buying, just browsing. 

We would eat out some, and right before the pandemic it was becoming more of a thing once or twice a week, so I miss supporting my local restaraunts.  I now feel like I live in my kitchen 24/7 but that is okay, we now know what is in our food and are eating better.  And I have become rather crafty at using up those left-overs. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Control freaks and micromanagers like me would never be happy letting others select their groceries......

much less deliver them along with other people's orders or keep them waiting for me to pick up.  Who knows how long those groceries will have been sittting, waiting for me to show up or for delivery to MY house?

Just not  psychologically ready for that type of "service".

Honored Contributor

@Sooner,  I resumed going to the grocery store around the beginning of the summer, and do that weekly, occasional other shopping, medical/dental appointments, etc.

Taking all social distancing precautions, I feel completely comfortable doing this, as most people around here have.

We're not congregating in indoor groups, and two other things we haven't resumed are in-person church, or in-person restaurant dining, for obvious reasons.  We do get take out on weekends, which I zap in the micowave on the theory that might "sanitize" even more, ha.

It's a gradual process of resuming normalcy, based on what the conditions in our area are.  Feeling good about the improved therapeutics, and the prospect of vaccine, so when I've been tempted to get impatient, I focus on that.

Keeping calm, and carrying on.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Nope

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Never stopped buying groceries in person. Had I been tempted in the early days to do Instacart, the stories of theft and bad substitutes turned me off, as well as the surcharges. No point in doing Walmart pickup because I don't buy their produce or meat/chicken. The supermarkets refuse to honor their circular prices on online orders, turning that route into the most expensive solution around. I also observed the pickers filling baskets for customers in the stores, masks pushed below their noses, and that was the nail in the coffin for curbside pickup for me. Don't want Germy Gus pawing my produce and breathing all over it literally minutes before I pick it up. And neither Amazon Fresh nor the Peapod-type services deliver to my ZIP code.

The senior hours have worked out well for me and I enjoy finding what I need and making decisions on the ground. Going to the store, albeit less frequently than pre-COVID, has been a valuable strand of normalcy for me.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Loving the convenience of pickup grocery.  Hating not going to the coffee grinder, local butcher and the local grocery with good produce.

Missing other shopping is more complex.  Not seeing friends, not eating out, so no new shoes.  No gym, no shoes.  The activities are very mingled with the shopping.

Saving money like I can't believe.

Honored Contributor

I have resumed grocery shopping. I go to our supermarket and TJ's once a week. Masks are mandated.

I don't miss other types of shopping because I had switched to online some time ago. As for restaurants, they have not interested us for years now -- exception for family and friends on occasion (but not now, of course). I've mentioned before that no restaurant can match my husband's cooking; I am very, very lucky.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

NOPE.....