Honored Contributor

Do You Miss Shopping, Going to Grocery Stores, Etc.?

I have discovered I am not a shopper.  I am a buyer.

I really dislike shopping!  I have stopped shopping for clothes in stores many years ago--order from Talbots is too easy when I need something.  I would go to the store early in spring and stock up for the spring vacation and summer, the the rest has been online for years.

I have not missed Home Goods or T.J. Maxx which is a big surprise, and haven't really missed the grocery stores either, finding pickup to be a great alternative.

I am happier listening to books or reading, cleaning and rearranging the house and closets, at little cooking, going out to mail packages in drop boxes, etc.

I miss eating out but not as much as I thought and what we make is better.  Surprise!  And a lot healthier.

This is really changed my perspective on life, what is important, and what I enjoy doing.   And I am not dealing with new things I don't need now.  Which has been great too!

I really miss travel, but glad I went while I could!   

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Miss Shopping, Going to Grocery Stores, Etc.?

We greatly miss traveling.  And going to museums and concerts.  And I miss going to Macy's, Marshall's, etc. without all the hassles that going to a store these days entails.

We were eating in restaurants until this past Friday when a lock down on eat in restaurants was once more enforced.  Hopefully, it will not last too long.  One of our pleasures that was still available to us.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  I do not miss anything about shopping.  I never go to the mall, only go to the grocery about once every two weeks or less, and just enjoy being home, like I did before the pandemic.  What I do miss is my art class for the social aspect since I am not very good, and I miss going to lunch every week with the girls.  When the weather was nicer, we met twice at a waterfront restaurant with outside dining, and I went to the same place with a long-time friend last week.  I still go to the Y, but it is almost empty and they have safeguards in place, including a new HVAC air circulation system.  Even though my life has really not changed, I will be glad whenever this is over.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I always enjoyed being out and about, going to my favorite stores and being among people.  However, as the virus has changed that I have reduced my outings to supermarkets, Barnes and Noble, Hallmark stores and maybe Target.  I loved going to Pier One but now that it has closed, it is one less favorite.

I love to read and am trying to read the many books I have.  I do things around the house and keep in touch with family and friends by phone.  I miss socializing , that has always been a part of my life.  However, I do make the best of it all and hope for positive change soon.

Honored Contributor

I miss having more options and being able to feel more comfortable exercising them as I choose...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I miss traveling too.  We had many plans this year and of course that has all changed.

I still like to shop but at this point I have to be in a shopping/browsing mood which hasn't come over me in quite sometime.  Even pre covid, before we downsized we lived way out in the woods and even grocery shopping was an adventure as everything was quite a drive.  I guess I am somewhat thankful for those years as it prepared me for the way we live now.....who knew? (on line shopping)   Oh yes and I love going out to eat, another lost love, but I do admit I like cooking, especially in the winter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. I was never a shopper and for years now it is done online. I hate grocery shopping. I am spoiled now because my husband does it. He has to be busy every minute of the day. I do like Home Goods, etc as I enjoy that stuff more than clothes. However, the last thing I need is more stuff in my home. We enjoy dining out and have been doing that. Also traveled twice. No planes.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, I am only missing unnecessary shopping that I use to that was just  for fun. I use to go out and just window shop... buy unnecessary things...

now I just go to the  grocery store when I need to go.  Less trips.... less spending.  I order more things online now.  Spending much less money.

So the question is DO I MISS SHOPPING??.... I have to say the only thing I miss is my monthly trips to goodwill to just look around that I use to do.... I miss it, but, really never needed to go anyway and bring more junk home!  So really it is a good thing!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

No. I don’t miss going into stores and, even if the pandemic were to magically disappear, I have no plans to start shopping in stores again. Ever. Shopping online and doing grocery pickups or having things delivered saves me so much time! No impulse buying at the grocery store either.

Respected Contributor

I'm a buyer too!  I don't go shopping unless I need something, and usually have a list.  With that said, I haven't stopped going to the grocery store, including Walmart.  Since there aren't many other places to go, these trips are pretty routine now.  I'm trying to go to a restaurant every so often, but I'm not good at planning that.  Probably because I have so much food at home.  Being at home more made me stop buying clothes and home items.  I'd rather spend time getting rid of all this stuff I no longer need.  I sure don't want to bring in more.  Cosmetics and hair products are either purchased at Walmart, or online.  Ebay and Amazon have very competitive pricing.