Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Like To Talk To Strangers?

I do, while waiting at the dealership, Dr.'s office, etc.  I love meeting new people. 

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

I do.  Sometimes, people seem surprised when I talk to them, but then they start responding....and seem happy to talk.

One of the hardest times for me was when I lived outside the US, in a country where there were three official languages, as well as many other unofficial ones.  No one talked to each other!

Once I came back to this country, I became very chatty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lived in Belgium with 3 official languages and many others that weren't. I found almost everyone wanting to communicate and often it was in a mixture of English, French, Dutch/Flemish, German or  patois and sign language. Lots of smiles, giggles and hugs too.

Honored Contributor

I always talk to strangers wherever I go.One time my DH and I were leaving a store and I got talking to a man about fishing of all things and he just didn't want to stop.We talked for the longest time and after my DH asked if I knew that person from the gym or somewhere else...no never saw him before or after.I think talking to people in person is becoming a lost art.People don't think they have the time and seem to prefer electronic conversation.I have the greatest time amusing myself during these stranger conversations and can honestly say that I have never had someone tell me they preferred to be left alone.

Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy It has nothing to do with age.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Sometimes.

Same here. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well I don't talk much when I don't know someone or when I just meet them (after I know someone, I cant keep quiet..lol) But yes I do say hello to people if I pass by someone when out and about and if someone talks to me (like in a Dr office or maybe in line at the supermarket or something), of course I answer them and am cordial. But I do tend to be a bit shy around strangers and I really don't start up the conversation per say.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

As long as they don't seem like crazy people, yes! It certainly can make the time go faster whether waiting in line or sitting in an airplane on a long flight.

And in my ambassador job at the ice arena I talk to many *strangers* as part of my job to get them comfortable with skating. And it's very rewarding when I some of them come back again.

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

That should have been on the "I'm So Old..." thread - I'm so old that I talk to strangers in the checkout line.  (I do it, too.  I'm not mocking lol)

When I was in my mid 20s, we were on a train through Yorkshire and spent hours on the train with a middle aged man from London whose brother from Yorkshire got on to join him.  I tried but couldn't understand the brother at all.  It was incredibly fun and I wasn't an old person.

Esteemed Contributor

Simple answer Yes.  Love meeting new people even if it is only for the length of the conversation.  It wasn't always that way but I learned that everyone is interesting and deserves attention.  Makes for a great day and a good feeling.

Esteemed Contributor

The Yorkshire accent is like a foreign language to most of the UK. lol