Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Lie About What Size You Wear

@LilacTree @cherry @suzyQ3   I think it is "nice to be nice" so I think compliments to anbody are wonderful.  Just think if you can before saying anything.

Sad that someone would query re pregnancy--that's one where I would ask my stock question "Is there any reason . . ."

My paternal grandmother didn't ask but stated matter of fact informing my Mom--"You are pregnant" which was none of G'Mother's business--my mother was very heavyset and thought her pregnancy (carrying my baby brother) was still well hidden.

G'Mother loathed my mother and vice versa.  But they kept the barbs velveted--they each had rapier wits and my mother was respectful of m-i-law's age.  

Saw my dear Dad wince often.  Like me, he was very uneasy around conflict--submerged or out on full display.

Honored Contributor

When I was younger, I used to fib about my age by two years.  Never legally, only socially.  I was told by those who knew that I could have gotten away with ten years, ha ha.

Never got the size question.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

I totally agree that compliments are totally fine, welcomed and appreciated.  I should have made that distinction in my post.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree  I know that picture is recent ,and you are still a beauty, as far as I am concerned

Honored Contributor

I don't lie about my size or age, Nor do I get questions about my size.......My sisters and I will discuss sizing and clothing,etc.....Plus for me anyway in some stores I will wear one size, and in another store, I wear something different, so it varies based on the garment. 

I don't judge, nor do I want to be judged.....I think as long as you buy the correct size and feel good in it and the it fits properly, that is what is important, not the # on the tag!  

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@LilacTree  I know that picture is recent ,and you are still a beauty, as far as I am concerned

@cherry 

Thank you so much, cherry.  That was a new photo almost two years ago. I have aged significantly in the last year since all of the surgery and increases in health issues.  As they say, nothing lasts forever.  I’d rather have the health than the beauty these days.  But it was sweet of you to say that.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I certainly have hopes that you are on an better road now @LilacTree . You have been through so much, and you have kept your kind heart ,in spite of everything

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I certainly have hopes that you are on an better road now @LilacTree . You have been through so much, and you have kept your kind heart ,in spite of everything

@cherry 

I have much to be grateful for.  My parents did not come from long lived families on either side.  I am grateful (and surprised) for my long life.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@LilacTree @cherry @suzyQ3   I think it is "nice to be nice" so I think compliments to anbody are wonderful.  Just think if you can before saying anything.

Sad that someone would query re pregnancy--that's one where I would ask my stock question "Is there any reason . . ."

My paternal grandmother didn't ask but stated matter of fact informing my Mom--"You are pregnant" which was none of G'Mother's business--my mother was very heavyset and thought her pregnancy (carrying my baby brother) was still well hidden.

G'Mother loathed my mother and vice versa.  But they kept the barbs velveted--they each had rapier wits and my mother was respectful of m-i-law's age.  

Saw my dear Dad wince often.  Like me, he was very uneasy around conflict--submerged or out on full display.

Some family members are just mean to begin with @aroc3435 .  One of my cousins who gave me such grief all my life about being small and must be anorexic, actually told me in my mid 20's "I was not a real Mother."  She believed since I only had one child I could not call myself a true Mom.  Decades later since I have not died, had any health problems and maintained my weight I finally proved I do not starve myself.  Should have known that at every family function meal, especially when her Mom, my Aunt brought her cocunut pie!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I wear either a size 8 or 10 depending on the manufacturer. I never lie to someone about my size, if I don't want them to know, I just won't say. Meghan on The View yesterday said she wears a 12, I found that surprising.

@Jordan2 

Size isn’t something that comes up in normal conversation. I can’t even think of any conversation I’ve had where my clothing size came up, other than HR, at work, asking me what size company shirt I wanted her to order for me. 

I wear lots of different sizes; there is no one size that anyone wears. 

People on TV discussing their clothing size really aren’t living in the “real world” and I can’t imagine concerning myself about whether or not they might be telling the truth or not about anything.