Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Lie About What Size You Wear

@aroc3435 wrote:

@beckyb1012   I belong to your circle--87 and a half pounds and 5 ft. 7 and 1/2 inches.  Pregnant twice and gained about  30 to 35 pounds each time with about 14 pounds to lose after each delivery.  And I was able to get back to my "underweight" normal poundage easily each time since I breastfed each child.

Learned decades ago to brush off any pointed questions or observations from thoughtless people such as "Are you sure you are not anorexic?" And on an on ad nauseum.

I think I mentioned in a post started by someone else here last year or the year before about such remarks is that I either "play deaf "or come back with my own question:  "Is there any reason you need an answer to that question?"  I guarantee it floors the querent dead in his tracks (since there is no believable comeback) and we get back on the polite conversation track easily.

Absolutely no judgment whatsoever, @aroc3435 , is your height 5'7 1/2" and your weight 87 1/2 pounds? Just making sure that I read that correctly.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

I doubt Meghan wears a size 12.

It doesn't do any good to lie about what size you wear. People can see what you look like.

I agree...she looks to be more of a 16/18.  A size 12 is considered a medium.  She looks like a large or extra large.

I thought 8-10 was medium, 12 was large, and anything above that was plus size.

At any rate, I'm surprised by how many of you never discuss size or never have it come up. I discuss it frequently with my sisters, friends, and sales associates when I shop for clothes, which is often (lol). I guess I have never considered it top secret information, but I'm not super sensitive about my weight or size.

That's completely dependent on where you shop.

Land's End, Brooks Brothers, LLBean and Talbots, say that a medium is 10-12, large is 14-16 and XL is 18. Ralph Lauren says medium is 8-10, large is 10-12 and XL is 16. That's pretty much how they fit as well as I usually need to size up from RL. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3   You read my weight and height correctly!

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435  I am sure you look lovely.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 

I am too old and sick looking these days, and not as thin as you are, so I don’t get that question.  But my youngest daughter always did.  I often wondered why it was okay to say that to a thin person, but God forbid you say something like that to an overweight person.  That’s not right.  I do have a friend though who gets asked if she’s pregnant and she gets angry (and sad).

Bottom line, try to refrain from commenting on anyone’s looks, especially right to their faces.  @cherry @aroc3435 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I am too old and sick looking these days, and not as thin as you are, so I don’t get that question.  But my youngest daughter always did.  I often wondered why it was okay to say that to a thin person, but God forbid you say something like that to an overweight person.  That’s not right.  I do have a friend though who gets asked if she’s pregnant and she gets angry (and sad).

Bottom line, try to refrain from commenting on anyone’s looks, especially right to their faces.

@LilacTree, did you meant to direct this to me? My only post here was to clarify @aroc3435' post.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Who would I lie to?????  I'm the only one who buys clothes for myself and if I lie to myself about clothing size, nothing would fit.  I'm not that crazy...LOL    Honestly, no one ever asks me what size I wear.   My friends and I talk about what we bought and what we saw and what we like but we don't talk about sizes.  I wouldn't say  "I've love that dress you are wearing, what size is it?"  And no one would or ever has asked me that question.  They say that tv adds 10lbs to a person but from my own experience, I believe tv hads much more than that to people.  Meghan is smaller in person that she looks on tv, everyone is.  I say that because a dear friend of mine was a local tv anchor woman over 20 years and on tv, she looked like she was size 14 or 16.  She is close to 6 feet tall.  But in person, she looked like the size 10 she was. And her head was nearly as big as it appeared on tv.  On the other end of the spectrum, two tv reporters live here in town and I see them when they are out about with the kids.  One goes to my church.  The look small on tv, if I had to guess I would say they are size 4 or 6.  In reality, they are teeny tiny little women.  Probably in that 00 size range.  I'm always amused when I see one of them because they are so tiny, so much smaller than they appear on tv.    

Honored Contributor

Well ,I don't think there is anything wrong with giving a compliment to someone. @LilacTree  @aroc3435  has a beautiful countenance to me. I feel it in her postings

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@suzyQ3 

Bottom line, try to refrain from commenting on anyone’s looks, especially right to their faces.

@LilacTree, did you meant to direct this to me? My only post here was to clarify @aroc3435' post.

@suzyQ3 I noticed that after I posted, so I added cherry’s and aroc’s usernames to my post.  Is that ok?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@suzyQ3 

@suzyQ3 I noticed that after I posted, so I added cherry’s and aroc’s usernames to my post.  Is that ok?

Of course. @LilacTree .

I do take exception, though, to your advice not to comment on anyone's looks. I think gracefully worded compliments are much appreciated.