Valued Contributor

Do You Let Your Pre-teen Children Watch The Evening News?

Several times during tonight's evening news the anchors gave a warning about the following story not being suitable for children. That is not all that uncommon around here particularly when the stories deal with assaults on females, violent information like in the Arias case, gore or "adult" matters; when I was in FL such warnings were rare and usually only given when the video was gory.

Please share your thoughts on this practice and how you protect your young children from disturbing broadcast information.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Let Your Pre-teen Children Watch The Evening News?

I searched for "pre-teens" and found your old post.

I worry about social media -- 9 year-olds too influenced by it.

Thoughts?

If you are "just" the grandparent, what can you do???

-Solar

Honored Contributor

Probably not a good idea ( children watching the evening news)  (Even I don't watch it) .......

At home, just warn them about the dangers of 'this and that': Don't text while walking, be aware of their surroundings, etc. 

I do believe that most of the dangers lurk from not being aware of their surroundings.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY ...........this thread is 10 yrs old.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name ......this thread is 10 yrs old which goes against community standards.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

10 years!  That must be a record!

Honored Contributor

I would let them watch the news before I would let them get on social media.  I remember being a kid and watching Walter Cronkite, and other news channels, Huntley and Brinkley even 60 minutes.  Probably why I am a news junkie now lol.  In school we would have to do current events and actually read a news paper and talk about articles.

Honored Contributor

I don't have children and I don't even watch the news.  Don't think I would let children watch either.  Why should they???

Honored Contributor

For some reason, the news seemed 'different' way-way back, maybe 60 yrs or so ago.

I do slightly remember the threat of R. to the US. 

But, I couldn't figure that one out, as my friends were from R. and were very kind to me (and super-smart, as I recall).  I learned a lot about their homeland.  And they helped me with my school work. 

Thank goodness, we lived in a very diversified neighborhood. 

We were all 'just children' and friendly with one another, no matter what was going on elsewhere. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).