Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Married For Money?

When my sister and I were starting college our (dear?) mother advised us to only date (very) rich boys. It didn't matter if they were dweebs, just as long as they were rich.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

When my sister and I were starting college our (dear?) mother advised us to only date (very) rich boys. It didn't matter if they were dweebs, just as long as they were rich.

@lulu1  My Mother would say:  “you can love a rich man just as much as a poor man.....So marry a rich man”

Super Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I think Jackie married for love with Kennedy.  They moved in the same social circles and met on the job.  But the constant worry over money from her childhood would always haunt her. Onassis gave her security.  Something she always craved.   Her sister on the other hand was kind of empty headed (some biographers labeled her that) and  simply fluttered around from man to man.  She even got a job.  That of a interior decorator.  

Jackie = a TOTAL golddigger, as evidenced by her marriage to Onassis. Her sister Lee was also one.

Honored Contributor

I could never marry for money.

There has to be an attraction, and a connection.  For me.

I took a chance, I honestly married for looks. 

I thought my husband was the cutest guy in the whole state.

We didn't have any money to splurge on anything, but it didn't matter.  We had each other.  And had a great time.Woman Very Happy

We are quite comfortable now, but the most liberating thing to say, still, is.....'I can't afford that'.  Even if I can.

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

If both parties get what they want I see nothing wrong with it.  

Look at Anna Nicole Smith. She was a  26 year old stripper and a 89  year old Billionaire took a liking to her and they married. It worked for both of them... He enjoyed her company...Anna enjoyed a great lifestyle. Their marriage did not last( only 13 months) as he died..... that is what can  happen when you marry someone 63 years your senior!

5DC8F8C1-692C-4676-841C-6AB5437C5A2C.jpeg

Anna Nicole Smith - MAJOR trashy gold digger.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

NO, but I don't think it's much different, than a man who marries a trophy wife

AS Loralie Lee ( Marilyn Monroe )said  A  rich father wants his son to marry a beauty ,and start a family. I am beautiful, and I want myself to be successful, and marry for money, or something to that affect.

Everyone I know married for love, and through better or  worse ,the marriages lasted. 

All of my friends  and myself had had a golden wedding anniversary. In fact we are all married at least 54 years

Yes the trophy wife! so true!!  

I don't know anyone (as of yet) that has married for money....everyone in my family was love and we are all still married.  Nobody came from money....nobody had any money to begin with and come to think of it nobody had a college degree!  Everyone is financially middle class fine...it worked out good!

Now the new generation is different I am hearing....my Husbands Uncle is trying to steer his grandson into meeting a girl from a "wealthy" "connected" family while he is over doing his training on the East Coast.  This Uncle told us all about how he thinks and wants that grandson of his to score a rich girl!!

Husbands brother would only marry IMO if he finds a woman that has some money.  Could be from her job...widow money...whatever...just money or something asset wise that's worth money that he wants LOL!  Needless to say he's never been married so it's a ongoing search for this 55+ yr old man.

It goes both ways....

Honored Contributor

@sol_luna wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

If both parties get what they want I see nothing wrong with it.  

Look at Anna Nicole Smith. She was a  26 year old stripper and a 89  year old Billionaire took a liking to her and they married. It worked for both of them... He enjoyed her company...Anna enjoyed a great lifestyle. Their marriage did not last( only 13 months) as he died..... that is what can  happen when you marry someone 63 years your senior!

5DC8F8C1-692C-4676-841C-6AB5437C5A2C.jpeg

Anna Nicole Smith - MAJOR trashy gold digger.

@sol_luna  The old geezer got what he paid for. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. I know someone who married for money.  She lives in DC. She puts up with affairs, just so she can demand a bigger , more expensive piece of jewelry. She lives a life of luxury in several residences.  She wears designer clothes.  She is happy.  She has exactly what she wants.  The deal with the devil works for her.

Honored Contributor

No, but I know several women who stay in unhappy marriages to keep their comfortable lifestyle. One friend flat out said she simply doesn’t want to work or live on less or a smaller home. I have a very hard time not judging that attitude.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did know someone who blatantly married for money.  But, he knew, and was okay with it.  There was a friendship.  Their marriage served them both I think.