Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Married For Money?

No, I don't know anyone who would do do that. Seriously. Maybe that's why, in my group of women friends, who are all professional and married, there have been no divorces. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, and they are still married up to forty-plus years later.

There are certain benefits to choosing a nice, decent spouse who happens to have money.  Or who were and have been extremely ambitious, in a good way.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Do you know of anyone (women specifically), who married a guy who made considerably less than them? I doubt I would be able to do it.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

Yes, and they are happy. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, my SIL and she kept it no secret. If I were to say anymore, I would be banned from these boards.

Honored Contributor

I think it’s perfectly normal to want to be with a mate who contributes stability into the relationship. Though money has never been a number for one motivator I would weed out partners who were lazy and constantly broke. 

But emotional stability is what I crave. My first husband made quite a bit more than my husband now but I have been perfectly happy downsizing for true love and having a peaceful home. 

Honored Contributor

Yes.  He wanted a woman with a well-paying job, and she wanted a man who liked doing things with her children and earned as much or more than she did.  All the wants have been satisfied for over the last 20 years of their marriage.

Honored Contributor

Yes, and it was a short marriage, with a bitter divorce.   Her settlement was considerable, but what she went thru to get it was unreal.   

This same woman found her soulmate in her next husband, who also has money.   She is his younger woman, trophy wife, and I think she deserves his money for all she helped him accomplish.   

Honored Contributor

My Mom was in love with a guy who came from money. Lots of money. It's so obvious she was truly in love, the way she talked about him so much later in her life . She knew him in her 20's.

His family didn't think she was good enough for him (only because she didn't come from money), so they never married. She ended up marrying my father, and always struggling financially. She was never happy in her marriage either, not that I ever remember. It makes me so sad for my mother. She wanted to marry for love and it had nothing to do with his money. He would have been very lucky to marry my Mom.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Does it count if people STAY in the marriage for money? If so, I know a few.