Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Married For Money?

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

I just finished the book about the Bouvier sisters and their mother.  All of them married for money (several a couple of times); that included JBK(Onassis).

Yep.  I read about them.  Even their mother married for money.  Problem was that each man that got her attention was in the bottle or something else. The husband would drain the money.  So frequently Jackie & her younger sister depended on hand outs of richer relatives.  Jackie was very well educated because of helping hand of rich Aunts or distant cousins.  Jackie was that brilliant academically that scholarship would have been humiliation to her mother. Their childhood was a great source of worry to her mother.  The family was  highly ranked in society, but not much money.  

Honored Contributor

I think most women's decisions are influenced in part by how their parents or grandparents fared during the great Depression of 1929.   It couldn't help but affect how they were raised, and that probably influenced their priorities.

I remember reading a book years ago written by an anthropologist, who compared ancient human "mating rituals"  with more modern times.   

I'm embellishing a little bit here:

Back during the cave man days, successful hunters were the most desireable mates.   If Miss Cave Girl's mate was a good hunter, chances were then rather good her future children wouldn't ever starve and die.  So, courting occurred when Mr Cave Man brought over a freshly killed saber toothed tiger which they ate together.  The male shared meat with the female, giving her a chance to sit with him and get to know him.

A female was courted with food back then  ..... and these days, a man takes a woman out to dinner while they get to know each other ....  mating rituals have stayed pretty much the same in spite of other advancements over the centuries.   

The most desireable men are often the good providers.  Even if we don't call it marrying for money, any woman wanting to start a family is looking for what kind of stability a potential mate can provide.   There's nothing wrong with that, IMO.   Thinking ahead to the safety and protection of her future children is pretty much just common sense .... JMO.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@patbz wrote:

I just finished the book about the Bouvier sisters and their mother.  All of them married for money (several a couple of times); that included JBK(Onassis).

Yep.  I read about them.  Even their mother married for money.  Problem was that each man that got her attention was in the bottle or something else. The husband would drain the money.  So frequently Jackie & her younger sister depended on hand outs of richer relatives.  Jackie was very well educated because of helping hand of rich Aunts or distant cousins.  Jackie was that brilliant academically that scholarship would have been humiliation to her mother. Their childhood was a great source of worry to her mother.  The family was  highly ranked in society, but not much money.  

@songbird

A lot of marriages were arranged with families where one family had the important titles and the other family brought in significant money.   

A rather smart man once told me that women marry for money ....  and men marry for beauty.    That's certainly very true at least some of the time.

I actually know two couples where their parents had arranged their marriages ..... and both couples are surprising happy.   Go figure.  I can't imagine ever leaving that decision to my parents, as smart as they both were.  

Honored Contributor

My first boyfriend was quite a looker and his parents were VERY COMFORTABLE. He wanted to get married and I was a senior in high school. Even I knew I was too immature to be married. So I said no. Well, I did not know but he had already bought a 3 carat diamond engagement ring and shown some of the kids in high school. He was going to give it to me for Christmas.

That was also the year my Dad decided to take our family on a cruise to the Bahamas and also a vacation in Florida for our Christmas vacation. So I was gone the entire time we had off from school for Christmas. 

As soon as I got back, a guy called me wanting to go out. I had no clue why - since I thought I was still going out with my first boyfriend. Well, he told me as soon as I left another girl from school was in hot pursuit of my boyfriend. And apparently, my boyfriend  did not object.

So they eventually married. She got my 3 carat diamond engagement ring. By our 10th year high school reunion, things were pretty rough between them. She had expected to be living as well as his parents and they weren't. It was sad to watch. Clearly she was disappointed and she was determined to embarrass him. She expected to be living the good life and clearly she blamed him that she wasn't. All this as many of us sat together during the reunion. 

What a surprise they got divorced shortly afterward. She married an older and supposedly very comfortable man. That marriage didn't last long at all. 

Not sure what she is up to now. Can't help but think she has married a few more times.

Honored Contributor

I think Jackie married for love with Kennedy.  They moved in the same social circles and met on the job.  But the constant worry over money from her childhood would always haunt her. Onassis gave her security.  Something she always craved.   Her sister on the other hand was kind of empty headed (some biographers labeled her that) and  simply fluttered around from man to man.  She even got a job.  That of a interior decorator.  

Valued Contributor

Yes, a few.  

When one lost his money, she divorced him.    One is married to a wealthy man but can’t stand him.   

The ones that came into money during their marriage are happier than the ones that started out wealthy 

Super Contributor

Yep--our best man at our wedding. 

He said it was just as easy to fall in love with a rich girl as a poor one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeppers.  My SIL, made no bones about it to friends or family.

The whole thing was tackey.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Absolutely yes!

I ive in the South, most of the women I know married for security, which translates to $$$$$.

Women need to marry for more than love.

Love alone can take you down a road you may not need to be.

Respected Contributor

I know a woman who worked for one of the early dating services.  She realized who was looking for love and made herself available to him, married him, and lives luxuriously, happily I hope -- but she was no fool in her position with knowledge of applicants.