Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Married For Money?

In the '70's a friend of mine at work had the sweetest boyfriend who was also really hot but he had only a so so job that he loved and didn't make a whole lot of money.  Then there was this other guy who had a great paying job and her mother talked her into breaking up with the good guy to go after the one with more money because she, I guess, believed her mother who said to go with the one who could provide better for her.  Well he mistreated her, often held a gun to her head, was controlling but finally after about 15 years she did divorce him.  Money doesn't mean everything and it never mattered to me - just how well a guy treated me and others.    

Honored Contributor

I don't think so but someone who did that wouldn't go around telling people.  I know two women who are casual friends of mine ( we all go to the same hair and nail salons)  who stay in their marriages for money.  Both women are around 60 and have been in abysmal marriages for many years but neither one will even think about divorce because their husbands are high wage earners.  They have their big homes, the vacations etc etc.  And, of course, the status.  So, they put up with their husband's other women and insulting behavior and in one case recreational drug use.  Seems like an awful way to live but there are not a lot of options for a 60 year old woman who never worked.  Whatever they would get in spousal support wouldn't be enough to live well on.  

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished the book about the Bouvier sisters and their mother.  All of them married for money (several a couple of times); that included JBK(Onassis).

Respected Contributor

There is a wealthy older (70’s) man in our town. He is not attractive. At all. But he married a much younger woman (30 years younger). It was so obvious, but really, they must have both been “benefiting”. 

She ended up having an affair and that was the end of that. 

I also know an older, wealthy, not attractive (married) man who just “buys” his younger women. No marriage certificate and they both get what they want.  His wife knows, but since she is taken care of, goes through life in denial. 

People really are fascinating aren’t they?

Honored Contributor

@JBKO 

YUP!.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I think everyone to a degree marries for money.  You wouldn't marry gutter bum.  No.... becasue your children deserve better.  You might want to marry someone who is succesful and always employed.  So in the back of everyone's mind yeah....you marry for security most of all.  You can love a lot of people but not hitch your star to any Tom, ****** or Harry. Your children always  deserves better.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes...and I think it is a sad life....

Honored Contributor

NO, but I don't think it's much different, than a man who marries a trophy wife

AS Loralie Lee ( Marilyn Monroe )said  A  rich father wants his son to marry a beauty ,and start a family. I am beautiful, and I want myself to be successful, and marry for money, or something to that affect.

Everyone I know married for love, and through better or  worse ,the marriages lasted. 

All of my friends  and myself had had a golden wedding anniversary. In fact we are all married at least 54 years

Trusted Contributor

I don't know anyone, but this might be off topic a bit....

For me, I dream of having more money, the "good" life of not working ......extensive traveling.........BUT....... it is important to be with someone who you really like and enjoy their company.  Just watching TV together, talking, etc.

I'm just not a "user".........if you grew up in certain communities (all races of people)......... some of the GIRLS are taught from a YOUNG AGE to "USE" people.  So if that is your upbrining..... you don't feel bad at all marrying someone you really don't like........ just for a green card, a better quality of life, etc.

I see so many older men with women from other countries, for example, Japan or the Phillipines who have found wives on various marriage websites.  They must know full well, these women only want a green card to the US.  Or many people in the carribean who search for americans to date/marry for a green card. 

What is the saying....different strokes .....for different folks....

I always say....Do to OTHERS as you want done to YOU.....I pray my husband likes and loves me for ME//////// not cause i have a job. 

I would not feel GOOD knowing, this lady or man.....does not like ME.....but just wants my MONEY.....that would not make me feel good inside.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

"I don't think I could handle someone that didn't share the same values but had lots of money."

I could.  And do it quite well too!  No shame in my game.  4_17_207.gif200.gif

Chillin.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif