QVC Customer Care

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Married For Money?

Honored Contributor

No,I don't. But I have seen in my immediate family, the husbands became very successful so everyone leads a carefree life money wise.

Honored Contributor

I don't think people who do this go around advertising it.

Honored Contributor

I believe you only marry once for loveHeart...and when that fails then it's for money or intimate companionship. I know Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh yes.  The story is long and lurid.  I did tell it many years ago on this BB long before they changed the format, so I am sure it is gone and I won't give all the gory details again.

The long and short of it, she married this man because he had a successful business, not because she was the least bit attracted to him in any way.  She was very careful to stay married to him long enough (twelve years) before she cooked up a "valid" reason to divorce him.  She actually considered those years to be her "sacrifice," like an investment in her future.

She went for the entire business, but she wound up with half of its value ($1.5 million) and was angry about that.  His son inherited the business and as far as I know still runs it.  She had always hated him.

However, she ruined that entire family because her son was married to his daughter (which is how she met him).  Because her daughter stayed with her husband, none of his other children has ever talked to their sister again.  The ex-husband died six months after the divorce.

This woman has invested well and is very wealthy now, with three homes where she lives dependent upon the seasons.  It has worked out very well for her.  She actually thinks she is a good person and deserves everything she has.  She has no regrets.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I know a lot of women who married well educated men with the potential to give them a good life. A woman can just as easily fall in love with that kind of man vs someone who is poor and hasn't done a thing to change that facet of his life.

Marrying some guy who came from a rich family? The rich generally marry in the same class. It is rare that they aren't very careful to be sure that their potential spouse isn't just there for the money.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Yes, and did it several times thereafter.  Oddly enough, she was a member of "the Greatest Generarion."

Cold and calculating.

What does being a member of "the Greatest Generation" have to do with this discussion???

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Age reference.  That's all.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both my parents married for ulterior motives but not for money. It was a disaster. My father who I'm getting to know now, said they've never even had a real conversation. I was stunned. With this in mind, I was certain to marry for love. Every marriage will face difficult times and without real love to carry you through, I just imagine how hard it must be.

I was told by relatives and so-called friends to dump my then boyfriend and now DH to get someone that was more stable financially. Both my parents opposed the marriage. However, I fell for his intelligence and kindness and he's doing well for himself. Most importantly, we really love one another. Knowing my parents are not the hallmark of a healthy marriage, I listened to my heart.

You have to live with this person day in and out and IMO no material comfort outweighs the burden of being with someone you dislike or do not love. You eventually get accostomed to the wealth and it must begin to weigh heavily at some point.

Being next to someone who doesn't care to know you, what you're going through and doesn't really feel anything for you seems like torture to me. My mom has never recovered from how hard her marriage was and shows signs of PTSD. They were both very cold and unloving to one another and in turn to their children. No amount of money will make me choose that.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

Yes, and it was my cousin! She married a Denver Bronco Football player in the prime of his career, she cared for him, but she wasn't in love with him. Had he been Joe Blow working in the factory, she would not have even looked twice at him.

Long story short, they met while she was a flight attendant, and next thing you know, a huge wedding is taking place.

I mean huge, all out fancy wedding in Southern California(where she is from). After 3 years of marriage and twin infant daughters, he gets hurt, and has to retire from Professional Football.

Needless to say, their lifestyle changed quite a bit. No more Nannies,no more flying 1st Class everywhere, no more 2 beautiful homes, and endless shopping sprees.....

They divorced when the twins were about 5 years old....She has never re-married and neither has he. She has always wanted someone with lots of money.

I don't think they even had a pre-nup. He made excellent money because at that time he was their star Running Back......