Regular Contributor

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?

[ Edited ]

@AuberriJean wrote:

@Pruett wrote:

I do and it's a family member. Very unpleasant to spend time with them and I don't know if there's any way to tell them how they're alienating people.  

This description I saw on Facebook today and it is spot on.

"A right-fighter is someone who

—gets overly emotional or angry when people do not agree with them and their opinions or beliefs.

—turns discussions into interminable debates if anyone disagrees with them.

—struggles to win arguments even if they doubt their own view.

—resorts to insults or belittling others who don't agree with their position or opinion.

—continues to obsessively return to an argument.

—brow beats others into submission.

—never apologizes (because they can't be wrong).

—insists on having the last word in an argument or refuses to back down no matter what."

Probably no good answers here. Just venting I guess. Thanks for letting me blow off steam.

The right fighters I've run into (RL and here) has all these characteristics pretty much. Relentless obsessive and insulting to others, very much tries to bully people into agreeing. Brow beating, belittling, etc. 

This is very very different from a teacher or person with actual good facts to share in a civil respectful way. Very pushy know it alls who drive people away.

Thats why they end up alienating other people. Imho.

Yes @AuberriJean! You explained the differences very well. 

Thanks everybody for your posts.

Esteemed Contributor

I reconnected with a childhood friend that is one! We were chatting about family and she was saying how difficult her elderly Mom was and since I could relate....I thought we could help each other by 'venting'.....

Then...the more I talked to her....I found out she doesn't get along with anyone......Mother...brothers....in laws...had to retire early because of her not getting along with co-workers and even her boss!

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like the individual described has a personality disorder. If that's the case, there isn't much you can do except ignore the slings and arrows. Don't give the offender ammunition to hurt you or put you on trial.

Honored Contributor

Re: personal situations/experiences:  As someone else said (Jean Lake), 'Keep silent, keep safe'.  Also, Lynda Gee suggested being/keeping ourselves civil.   'Silent, safe, and civil'.  Stand steady-safe on the top of that evolution (civility-wise) ladder.  Preserving our integrity in a cool, calm way. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I stay away from people like that and wouldn't waste my time trying to "debate" them. Why bother, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Honored Contributor

i do know of people like this. 

One is a very close family member. 

I just try to keep talk light, no confortations if at all possible.  

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

If some of these so called "right fighters" are wrong then I see the problem.  When they are confident in their ability to get the facts out they shouldn't be denigrated for doing so.

BTW, there is something wrong with this thread.  I am gtting "Unexpected Error Notifications within."

That appears on IPads when their emojis are being used. See those 2 Sun things in the title of the thread? That is what is causing those words to appear.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

if anyone here thinks that right fighters can be right, then those people don't belong on this right fighters list.

everything on this list, at least what i read, is a big negative.  a person who is right will not behave in this way. 

if you have the courage of your convictions, it isn't necessary to be a bully.