Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,069
Registered: ‎05-27-2016

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?


@Quse wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Quse wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

Why are they called "Right"?  My brother-in-law was like this.  If you didn't like the way he thought, then you were nothing.  He would walk away from you, if you started disagreeing with him.  Actually I have to SILs who do the same thing.  I call it dump and run.  They can dish it out, but they can't take what you are saying.  


Bcz they think they're right and have to prove it at all costs....


When and if they do prove it at all cost (prove it) what's wrong with that @Quse?  Should they pretend they aren't to "get along?"


@itiswhatitis Didn't say there was anything wrong with it, just answering QGirl2's question of why they are called "right". I don't know about "pretending to get along", but sometimes it's not necessary to argue every stupid thing that comes along just to be "right". Especially these days when there are an infinite amount of "facts" that aren't, in fact, facts...and the "proof" is likely more conjecture and opinion than fact.

Sometimes, silence says enough.


@Quse, well I'm not going to rattle the cage.  Facts are facts and conjecure is just that.  That's exactly what I meant.  When one comes from a place of facts and is doing their best to relay that and it gets lost on some ~ it doesn't end quietly all the time.  Those who are not dealing with facts chime in with other nonsense not relative to the discussion.  I don't think a person should have to walk away with his/her head held down because of this (benefitting the ones who can't deal with facts).

 

*Call Tyrone*
Valued Contributor
Posts: 508
Registered: ‎10-15-2011

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?

[ Edited ]

@AuberriJean wrote:

@Colinka wrote:

I married one, for better or worse.  Most of the time, the better outweighs the worse, but I've got a bag packed in case I have to leave.  You can't argue with him, so a strategic retreat/escape is the only answer.


 

@Colinka,  Your post worries me.

I hope you aren't in danger. 💙

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))



Thanks for your post.  I'm fine.  Just venting because I have never been allowed to win an argument with him. He's always right.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?


@Colinka wrote:

@AuberriJean wrote:

@Colinka wrote:

I married one, for better or worse.  Most of the time, the better outweighs the worse, but I've got a bag packed in case I have to leave.  You can't argue with him, so a strategic retreat/escape is the only answer.


 

@Colinka,  Your post worries me.

I hope you aren't in danger. 💙

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))



Thanks for your post.  I'm fine.  Just venting because I have never been allowed to win an argument with him. He's always right.


@Colinka, I am so sorry that you have to live like that. I surely hope that the "better" makes it worth it. But I do sense a deep feeling of sadness, even maybe bitterness and anger. That's a lot to deal with, and I wish you the best.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,394
Registered: ‎04-19-2010

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?

Encountered them in my family, at work, and in my social circle. The relative does not live near me so it's easier to remain vague and polite. It's interesting how they use this tactic even in Facebook by posting relentlessly on the same theme. I just ignore them. The aggressive one at work I could maneuver away from because I was there to work, not listen to their harangue of the day. The social situation is a husband of a friend. Sometimes I can't escape! The one thing they all have in common is that they drain all the joy out of the relationship with the badgering.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?


@SunValley wrote:

Encountered them in my family, at work, and in my social circle. The relative does not live near me so it's easier to remain vague and polite. It's interesting how they use this tactic even in Facebook by posting relentlessly on the same theme. I just ignore them. The aggressive one at work I could maneuver away from because I was there to work, not listen to their harangue of the day. The social situation is a husband of a friend. Sometimes I can't escape! The one thing they all have in common is that they drain all the joy out of the relationship with the badgering.


@SunValley, I've lost count of the times that I met a friend's husband, usually at a setting with both couples. I mean, the friend and I got along so well that we thought it would be fun to socialize as couples. Wrong.

 

Invariably, the friend's husband was a major jerk, so much so that I had to wonder how my friend put up with him. And my husband always shared that opinion as well.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,394
Registered: ‎04-19-2010

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?


@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

Encountered them in my family, at work, and in my social circle. The relative does not live near me so it's easier to remain vague and polite. It's interesting how they use this tactic even in Facebook by posting relentlessly on the same theme. I just ignore them. The aggressive one at work I could maneuver away from because I was there to work, not listen to their harangue of the day. The social situation is a husband of a friend. Sometimes I can't escape! The one thing they all have in common is that they drain all the joy out of the relationship with the badgering.


@SunValley, I've lost count of the times that I met a friend's husband, usually at a setting with both couples. I mean, the friend and I got along so well that we thought it would be fun to socialize as couples. Wrong.

 

Invariably, the friend's husband was a major jerk, so much so that I had to wonder how my friend put up with him. And my husband always shared that opinion as well.


I guess since we are friends, we think they would choose someone we would like too. I lost touch with a few friends after they married because the spouse was unbearable. They probably didn't care for me either, lol.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,602
Registered: ‎06-17-2015

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?

Sometimes the person we perceive to be a right-fighter is actually us and not the person we label as one.

 

Just sayin'.  jmoymmv

 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Regular Contributor
Posts: 236
Registered: ‎10-30-2013

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?


@suzyQ3 wrote:

To me a right-fighter is not just someone who thinks that he knows it all or that is just strongly opinionated. It's more a need to be heard and to be validated to the extreme.

 

I see nothing wrong with those who argue with facts and logical thinking. But a person should be able to size up his audience and know how to deal with them. Sometimes it's okay to continue; other times, it's best to put the brakes on. But a right-fighter is a person who keeps on and on.

 

A bit of a tangent here: I think that the oft-used "I'll let you have the last word" is a very passive-aggressive strategy. The best way to end such a discussion online is just not to respond anymore.


 

Yes! That's it @suzyQ3. ITA with your post.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 236
Registered: ‎10-30-2013

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?

[ Edited ]

@LyndaGee wrote:

Yes, people like that are obnoxious.  We were taught in debating class (in high school) that you can actually lose a debate by acting too mean.  There are ways to get a point across while remaining civil.


 

Great post @LyndaGee!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,513
Registered: ‎10-27-2010

Re: 💥💥Do You Know Any "Right-Fighters"?

 We do not hang out with people like that,  and  hello there my husband nor I grew up in homes were people behaved in such an immature way. On the occasions when I've been stuck with such a rude person – at a dinner party, for instance  – I have excused myself as quickly as possible and not taken the bait. There's no point arguing with someone like that.