Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Keep Extra Money In Your House

@sunshine45 wrote:

@tansy 

the 52 week money challenge is a way to save cash through the end of the year. i put the money aside to use for christmas. the penny a day challenge works the same way.

starting with week one.....put $1 away in a folder......week 2 put $2 in the folder. continue doing this so on week 52 you put $52 dollars in. your total will be $1378 by the end of the year. sometimes i do two folders where i START with $52 in the first week and then end with putting in $1 in the last week.

the 365 day penny challenge works the same way, but daily. one cent the first day, two cents the second day, 3 cents the third day until you hit the end of the year with $3.65 cents on the last day. that total will be $667.95.

@sunshine45 , I do the 52 week money challenge.  That is what I consider my "Christmas Club."  I always say I'm going to do it front and backwards so I have double the money but I just never do.

I have never heard of the penny a day challenge.  That's a good idea.   

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I always shake my head when people ask how do "children" "let" their parents. . . 

One of the biggest problems is you have no authority to make your parents do what is good for them or what they need to do.  You can't unless you can have them legally declared icompetent.  And that's not always an easy thing to do for many reasons, one being they can fool the judge. 

@Sooner , a judge isn't the one they have to fool.  A doctor is.  I'm not sure how things work but here, to declare someone incompetent and get guardianship or conservatorship over them, a doctor has to exam them and declare them legally competent.  The judge has nothing to do with it. 

Esteemed Contributor

God bless you for being a good neighbor, but in all honestly, not only would this get old, I'm worried that your neighbor may have an emergency and you may not be home. Or you may be unavailable.

As far as keeping extra money at home, I do not. I do think its a good idea though for emergencies. At the same time, I don't take taxi's either and we don't need to have cash on hand for things like that. After reading this thread about various reasons folks keep cash at home, I will probably get some and put it in the fire proof safe with the important papers.

Respected Contributor

I have a fireproof waterproof lock box that has my estate documents inside a filing cabinet in the house and I keep an envelope of about $100 in there.  It's broken down into $1s, $5s and $10s.  I have never had to use it.  

Honored Contributor

I do not keep money in the house, and rarely have more than $50 cash in my purse.   

Trusted Contributor

could you somehow get her daughter's phone number and give her a quick call every time her Mom is in "trouble"? Maybe that way her daughter will realize her Mom needs help and should not be alone. Bless you for helping her as she might not have anybody else she can go to. 

And yes, I always keep a little stash of cash at home, it has come in handy many times! 

Honored Contributor

Husband has a stash in his garage. 

Trusted Contributor

yes.. all my $ from work goes direct deposit.. i'm probably one of the only ones that still shops and pays in cash... kinda bugs me at work when people pull out there card for a few dollars  lol i keep a few hundred at home  dont know why  but i just do... i only use my credit card when i shop on line... and that gets me in alot of trouble  lol

Honored Contributor

My weekly $20.00 bill personal Christmas fund is growing all year long.  Right now it is very light since it is the beginning of the year.  Dec. 28th I deposited $1,000.00 in twenty dollar bills.  Left $20.00 in envelope to start this year and put another one in my wallet just because I stayed out of it.  Two years running now and going for three. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

yes i do  my son and daughter know where i have it