Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have Pharmacotherapists in Your Town?

@Teddie wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Sushismom wrote:

Just about any pharmacist is an expert in pharmacotherapy.

ETA: Pharmacotherapy is the treatment of disease through the administration of drugs.

Around here they're just called dealers. 

@noodleann  Care to elaborate? 

She joking.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

rRe: Do You Have Pharmacotherapists in Your Town?

[ Edited ]

@Teddie, I saw my pharmacotherapist several times before my A1C reached 6.5, but it had been 10.1.  He put me on Ozempic, adjusted the dosage of my short and long acting insulin, and also adjusted my thyroid medicine.  A pharmacotherapist works WITH your PCP to address medical problems you may have.  A pharmacotherpist, at least in my town, is employed by the clinic and operates from an office in the clinic.  And, our clinic is part of a hospital.  He also referred me to get a CGM so he could see when my blood sugars were high, low, etc.  I am very happy that I went to a pharmacotherapist.  I don't think doctors can keep up with everything and I appreciate having a TEAM approach to my medical care. 

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Sushismom wrote:

ETA: Pharmacotherapy is the treatment of disease through the administration of drugs.

She joking.

Well, since I had never heard of this I didn’t know what this was about. Still don’t get the “dealer” reference. 

Thanks, @Porcelain 

Honored Contributor

I wonder how many pharmacists can provide this service. I would guess that many of the senior pharmacists can. They do usually have that little sign saying a pharmacist can provide you with counseling about your medications.

This might be an underutilized resource because a very highly trained pharmacotherapist could possibly be more up to date on the latest medicines and their effects on different groups of people, as well as being able to provide a more detailed review of all the medications you're taking and the ways they might be interacting.

Thanks for bringing this up, @wismiss!

I'm just confused about whether this is an actual accredited title, or where the title comes from and how the professional qualifies.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Sushismom wrote:

She joking.

Well, since I had never heard of this I didn’t know what this was about. Still don’t get the “dealer” reference. 

Thanks, @Porcelain 

Illegal mood altering substances. The dealer is the person who sells them. It has nothing to do with pharmacists. It was just a joke, I'm pretty sure.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
This is the Bio of my pharmacotherapist. 
PHARMD, BCACP
MEDICAL SCHOOL: 
Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy
RESIDENCY: 
Primary Care, Clinic
PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS: 

Working with physicians to help manage patients who are on complex or difficult-to-manage medication regimens including anticoagulants, medications to treat high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and other chronic conditions. Assisting patients who want to quit using tobacco.

Those interested in learning more about pharmacotherapy or medication therapy management (MTM) should discuss it with their medical providers.

And, this explains the BCACP:  

The BPS Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist (BCACP) Program is a credential for pharmacists who have met the eligibility criteria below and provide integrated, accessible healthcare services for ambulatory patients in a wide variety of settings, including, but not limited to, community pharmacies and clinics. The purpose of the BCACP program
is to validate that the pharmacist has the advanced knowledge and experience to optimize therapy for ambulatory patients who administer medications themselves or with the assistance of a caregiver.

The purpose of the BPS Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist (BCACP) program is to validate that the pharmacist has the advanced knowledge and experience to optimize patient outcomes by:

• Providing team-based, patient-centered ambulatory care to integrate prevention and care of both acute illnesses and chronic conditions, and to optimize medication and health-related outcomes;
  • Identifying, evaluating, and applying key ambulatory literature to ensure optimal patient-specific and population-based health; and
  • Supporting ambulatory care practice through collaboration, education, and practice transformation.
“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

When I changed doctors they went over the drugs and supplements I already took with a pharmacist and they only took me off one - aspirin.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes we do.  One is affiliated with a Walgreen's pharmacy and the other with a hospital pharmacy.

Trusted Contributor

I work in the medical field, I'm an RD. 

A pharmacotherapist, is licensed pharmacist, who had gone on for additional specialized education, and training. 

Since, it usually takes 8 years, to become a pharmacist, they have a lot of education, behind those jackets 😊

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss  Thank you for that explanation. That truly is excellent that you have gotten that kind of help! 

I deleted my post. Unnecessary sharing.