Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have More Patience The Older You Get

No, I have FAR less patience since I retired.    

I used to take in person complaints from the most irate people at the hospital, and never flinched, or bat at eye when they cussed me or made threats.   I never raised my voice or showed any emotion whatsoever.   5 years of no crisis intervention training, and my fuse is short; no patience, no tolerance, and NO excuses!

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop God Bless you  for having a job listening to complaints.  I always liked getting yipped at for something Ihat I had no control over. Did paperwork for RE closings in law office. Couldn't close until lender gave clear to close. Explained process from get go.Got call we  want to close Fri We.have mover coming at 10:00am. Explained to them their lender hasn't cleared them to close.Well we WANT to close Friday. No one told them ok to close, no one said time call mover. My first calls after clearance were always tp buyers to set date and time for closing. Yet I get yelled at.

Called woman once selling one of two houses on farm. Called to verify Tax Map# so we had  the right one to reference on agreement.  When I asked which house the answer she gave was "The white one".  Property was 25 miles away. How on God's green earth was I to know the color..

Trusted Contributor

Nope. The older I get the less I have.   Didn't have the patience to read all the other responses yet.  Just came to the end to post my opinion.  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I definitely have more patience --- or else I just got better at avoiding certain people/situations that get under my skin.

Probably a little of both.

Respected Contributor

NO!

Trusted Contributor

I have no patience for stupidity or ignorance.  Actually probably less than none.  I walk away disgusted, I just can't even tolerate it.

Other things I have more patience for- Traffic, genuine lack of knowledge etc.  I figure I'm lucky enough not to be in the accident and/or smart enough to be able to teach.  

But stupid is stupid, lazy is lazy and ignorant is simply intolerable.  Zippo on the patience with that nonsense. 

Honored Contributor

no I have little patience especially for nonsense and lack of judgement. Those things are rampant these past couple years—-

Honored Contributor

Yes, I think so.  At least I hope so.  Guess you would have to ask those around me.  

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

All my life I have had no patience at all.  It was not one of my virtues.

As I have gotten older I can control it more but I still have very little.

@Imaoldhippie.....it's nice to see when someone can honestly say what you have just said.  That is one good virtue.....being honest about yourself.  That is something a good many folk can't be..  

Honored Contributor

I have always been a very patient person.  As I am now an old person, I find that I am still very patient although my patience has taken some different forms.  I don't have patience for ignorant, rude, mean, loud, aggressive or phony people.  I try to walk away as quickly as possible from them if I can!  In the past if someone causd me a problem, I used to just take it and not say or do anything and just have a placid and patient nature.  Sort of like, well -- don't make waves - let them have at it.  Not now!  My feelings are -- if you are rude or unkind or don't treat me right, you will hear about it in some way or another!  I have way more patience with loved ones, and other people who are disadvantaged, elderly, ill, etc.  I take more time to access a situation and see how to make it better.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin